Best new amp under $2k?

After reading a spirited review of McCormack's DNA-125 and Belles Hotrod 150A in December's Stereophile I am interested in what you think is the best in this category. The biggest attraction to this class of amp (under $2k) is the value everyone seems to talk about. You know, 80-90% of the performance of the big boys at a third of the cost. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
128x128dtwomey
hey magasam, that's what i like about sam tellig - i could swear that he liked the belles best, even tho he said technically it wood prolly only get a *b* rating instead of the *a* that the m/f amp got... ;~)

doug

Trelja,I auditioned the Visionarry Refference which was a 6K speaker when it was in production.It was a Triangle Shape with the Back being a little higher than the front.Thw Mid and Highs were the best i have heard.I found it lacking in bottom end.I later found out this was designed to be used with a sub and therefore the shy bootom end.There is a dealer in Toronto,who has a demo pair for sale.2.5k roughly.Anyone who is wiliing to mate it to a good sub will have a killer speaker.I dont have the space for adding a sub.I went with the Supper for the Extra bottom end.hey are side firing.I also heard Proacs B&W Meadowlarks JM labs and found the Coincident a better listen.What amp are you using with your Coincidents.
Leafs, I agree that anyone who wants a no BS reference quality speaker should pick up those Coincident Visionary References. I am not aware of anything better at that price. The three sided box has an 8" mid-woofer, and -3 dB point at 35Hz, so a person who felt the need for the really deep bass should follow your recommendation on the subwoofer. As it is now, it would be perfect for someone with an SET amp. I am still REALLY ecstatic with my speakers. The Troubass subwoofer is fantastic, and addresses the low frequencies extremely well. Coincident states in the specs that the subwoofer puts out 22 Hz @ 105 dB, with less than 1% THD. My speakers have a Darth Vader like appearance, with the satellites sitting on the subs like the Wilson WATT/Puppies. To think that I picked the Digital Masters and Troubass subs for $1300 used back in 1997 still has me in utter disbelief. No one heard of Coincident at the time, so what the market would bear was incredibly low. I have yet to come across anything that presents a better package for me. They were targeted for tube/SET people, yet give up nothing with solid state amplification. When the rest of my system is finally in place(speaker cable and new whatever disk player), I am going to take them to the ultimate level. Talked to Israel over the summer about it. He recommended that I drop in the ScanSpeak Revelator(a perfect fit) he used in the Total Eclipse, and inserting a small polystyrene film and foil cap in series with the Digital Master(to take the deep LF away from them). I will do a couple other mods(which he didn't think so necessary), such as a killer teflon film and silver foil capacitor, a no hold barred coil, and silver internal wiring. The Digital Masters use only a polypropylene cap, and heavy guage coil in the crossover. My kind of crossover, simple, great sounding, and unbelievably easy to drive. For amplification, I use a Jadis with Ei KT90 output tubes.
They realy are a steal at 4k Canadain which is about 2700.00 US.You really scored large,there are many out there who have spend 4/5 times more and have got much less in value.