BAT VK500

HELLO,I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY A BAT VK500 AMP FROM A LOCAL FRIEND. I HAVE HEARD HIS SYSTEM AND DECIDED TO GIVE IT A LISTEN OVER MY HOUSE.I AM GOING TO HOOK IT UP ON THANKSGIVING BUT HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.THE OWNERS MANUAL DOES NOT LIST ANY SPECS.WHICH I THOUGHT WAS KIND OF ODD. HE SAYS IT IS 250/WATTS/CH. IS THIS CLASS A OR A/B???ALSO WHAT IS THE INPUT IMPEDANCE.I AM A LITTLE LEARY BUYING A PRODUCT FROM SUCH A NEW COMPANY.I AM CURRENTLY USING A FORTE4 AMP.ALL OPINIONS AND COMMENTS APPRECIATED. THANKYOU
captain
Happy Thanksgiving Captain, The input impedance is 100ohm for each phase. Input signal for maximum output power is 2.0 volts. Power rating is 250 watts at 8 ohms and 450 into 4 ohms. You should find out if the amp has the batpak. The batpak increases the energy storage. ( joules ) Without the batpak the amp has 350 joules of energy storage and with it it has 1100 joules! They do offer an upgrade for the batpak if it doesn't have it. By the way BAT is a great company and the people are very nice. If you have anymore questions call Steve, Victor or Geoff at 1-(800) 255-4228. Hope you like the amp. All the best, Tom
Gotta agree...I've had my VK500 for over a year now. It's been flawless and a real pleasure to listen to. If you decide to purchase it, note that upgrading your power cords makes a dramatic improvement! Enjoy...
Well, I've got to chip in my thumbs up for the BAT. Mine has the previously mentioned BAT/PAK. All the headroom you'll ever need, very transparent, and powerful bass. I've heard slightly better depth to the soundstage from the Pass Labs Aleph line of amps, but the BAT's other strengths tip the scale in its favor. BTW, BAT may be a relative newcomer, but they've earned a reputation for excellent build quality and customer service. Good luck.
I use an all bat system on first floor system. 500/wbatpak, 5i and vkd5s. I agree the power cords need upgrading, I use nbs monitor 1's. Expensive but improvements can be heard. I suggest borrowing some and sitching back to stock to see if you hear a difference. I never had a problem. The sound is neutral and detailed. I can't find any flaws. I wish I had a pass 350 for abing. It still isn't tubes but has a natural sound comapred to other solid state gear I have heard. For the price you can't go wrong I don't believe.