Is $18,000 enough for a high end HT?

This will be my first attempt at building a HT. My room size is: 19'L x 11'2"W x 8'H. This room is a library. I want high-end stuff. I want my windows to rattle when the Apollo 13 takes off. I want to be tempted to get up and dance when a good music score comes on. I want to build it myself as I think it would be a lot of fun. I have plenty of vacation time that I could use. The following is what I would expect:

1. A projector with Texas Instruments' Mustang/HD2 and 16:9 aspect ratio
2. Recessed screen
3. 5 on or in ceiling speakers (Thiel or Triad I’m thinking)
4. 1 Subwoofer
5. DVD player
6. Power Conditioner
7. Processor
8. A 5 channel Amplifier
9. Cables for the items on the list

When I priced every thing I wanted individually the price came to over 25K. Bare in mind $18,000 is a lot of money for me. However, I figured since we spend a ¼ of our lives watching TV it is well worth the investment. I invested some money a few years ago explicitly for my HT. Besides, I figured if my wife is not happy with all the money I will be spending, I could just say, that I am not taking the money from our cash flow, rather from a fund specifically set up for a HT. I am thinking maybe I should pull money out now. But is 18k enough? I am not willing to spend that kind of money if I will not have a great HT. Perhaps I should wait a couple of more years until I save up more money and the technologies go down in price. (I'm concerned that I will say that in two years again as I did two years ago. There are always newer technologies coming out.) I have no experience with any dealer and want to know if I could expect such a deal from a reputable authorized dealer. I read in Robert Harley’s book: “Home Theater For Everyone” that choosing the dealer is far more important then choosing the manufacturer of the components. In my experience for other purchases I find this to be very true. It seems there will always be tech support issues. Also, when I want to upgrade and add components, the dealer will know exactly what I have and all of my issues and I would be able to get his/her valuable input. I plan on adding within the next year or so, an AMX system for control, a video processor and an HDTV set top box.

The cables I would start off not so high end as I want to see for myself over time if they make a difference. However, the cables that would go in my ceiling I would want high end because it would be a big pain to replace those. I would also be flexible with the projector, I would settle for a refurbished or demo unit (with valid warranty). I would even settle for a good one that has an HD1 chip and an XGA resolution. I have seen some of those and they are definitely good enough.
captaincapitalism
18,000 will get you a great HT system, do the home work and buy here on Agon and DONT listen to the no you can't people! Remember the $18,000 is going to get you approx. $36,000 retail if you buy used!
I would pay much attenion to the electronics first then the video! Another thing is how you match up componets as this is very important, have heard many $50,000 systems that could have been better considering what they spent!! Just my $18,000 worth!
Happy buying spree!!!!!!!!
The new Panasonic projector that Tpidgeon mentioned is the PT-L300U. It's been out since January and is NOT a data projector like most in that price range. I had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison with a $12,000 projector that was just a couple of years old and the differences were, at most, slight. It's available for under $2000. Mitsubishi also makes a nice unit for around $3500. I don't remember the model, but think it started with "XD". It's not really much better than the Panasonic, but has a few more lumens for room applications that have more ambient light.

Da-Lite has a new screen that isn't in their catalog quite yet (but I think it's on their website under "new products") called "high contrast matte white" and is great for use with projectors. Da-Lite's customer service is great, too. Stuart is SERIOUSLY over-priced, IMHO.

That'll leave you with a little extra cash to spend on better sound, acoustic treatments for the room (very important) and a second sub.

"Captaincapitalism":

Yes (saying so resoundingly)!!!! $18K is definitely enough money to put together a home theater system. Don't let any naysayers here tell you otherwise. Considering you can put together an entry-level home theater system for less than $2K and a highly respectable one for around $3K to about $5K, there is no reason why you cannot put together a high-end, reference caliber system for $18K if you shop around and get the best deal possible. Audiogon is one place in which you can do just that. Even with that kind of money, it is possible to get more bang for your buck. Because what you could possibly get for $18K today has probably costed about $40K to about $60K at retail a few years ago. And if you cannot put together a reference quality system for $60K, then something is wrong with you.

But anyway, if I had $18K to spend on a home theater (WHICH I DON'T), then here's the way I would do it:

Speaker System: For a complete matching speaker system, you could finish the Thiel job that you have started and go with a used pair of Thiel CS 3.6, and then match them up with a matching Thiel MCS1 to go with the Thiel Powerpoints that you already have installed inside of your ceiling. One alternative would be to seek out a used pair of Aerial Acoustics Model 10T's and then mate them to a matching Model CC3B Center Channel and keep the Thiel Powerpoints as your surrounds. Or the last alternative would be to seek out a used pair of B&W 802 Nautilus and match them up with a matching Nautilus HTM Center Channel, and still again, keep your Thiel Powerpoints as your surrounds. Price -- $4,000.00 (Fronts) + $1,000.00 (Center Channel) = $5,000.00 (all used).

Subwoofer: For a subwoofer that is consistent with the quality of the rest of the system, I would look at either a Paradigm Servo-15 or a Velodyne HGS-15. Both of these monsters will provide more than enough power and slam to shake the infrastructure of your said listening area. For the ultimate in room shaking and window rattling power, I would go for two subs if you think you can afford it. Prices -- Paradigm Servo-15 -- $1,300.00, and the Velodyne HGS-15 -- $2,200.00.

Electronics (meaning the amplification): For an $18K system, I would opt for a separate surround sound preamplifier and a separate multi-channel power amplifier. In this category, my favorite tends to be the Rotel RSP-1066 and (in your case, I would go for the most power I can buy) the matching RMB-1095 (200W x 5). But I would check out the new Parasound Halo C2 and the matching Parasound A51 (also.... 200W x 5). The price for the Rotel pair is $1,500.00 for the RSP-1066 Surround Processor and about $2,000.00 for the matching Power Amplifier. I would suspect that the new Parasound Halo pairing is identically priced.

DVD Player: If both video quality and sound quality matter to you, and you do not want to pay an arm and a leg for a reference quality player, then I would have to say that you have only one choice here. And that is the Sony DVP-NS999ES. Otherwise, I would try to seek out an used Arcam DV-88 or an used Arcam FMJ DV-27. And in the case of those Arcam players, make sure that they have the latest chips inside of them, and that they are up to the latest specs before parting with your green. Otherwise, go with a brand new Sony DVP-NS999ES. At least, you know what you're getting up front when you decide to opt for a newer Sony. The Sony DVP-NS999ES retails for about $1,200.00. But if you shop around, you should be able to get one for around $900.00 or so.

Video: For the video equation of this system, I may have to go along with the suggestion that "Tpigeon" and "Jimbo3" has made earlier. If you can, go with a fixed screen. Otherwise, a motorized one is going to cost you quite a bit more. Or, you can save yourself the trouble of calibrating a projector and a screen together altogether and get a plasma display. You should be able to get a 50" model from the likes of Panasonic, Runco, Sony (and probably, a few others) for around $6,000.00 to about $8,000.00 or so. See if you can find any closeout bargains either at any specialty video stores in your locality or somewhere on the internet.

Power Conditioning: I like "Joew's" suggestion for a Panamax M5510. But I would also take a look at Monster Cable's HTPS-7000. For a system that costs about $18K or more, you're going to need all of the protection you can get. The price for the Panamax M5510 -- $1,100.00. The Monster Cable HTPS-7000 is priced at about $1,300.00.

Cables: I don't know what kind of sound you are looking to get when it comes to cable, and since the choice of cables tend to be a subjective and personal one, I am going to leave you on your own here. But since I don't take home theater too seriously, I tend to use Monster Cable cables in my own home theater (which costs about $3K..... but will start changing some of the components in it starting late summer or early fall). I use MIT cables in my audio system (and that is separate from my home theater system).

Well...... I think that about sums it up right now. If you have any further questions, please, do not hesitate to e-mail me.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!!!!!

I wish I had about $18K to spend on a home theater!!!!

--Charles--

P.S.: BTW........ can any of you spot me $18K so that I can buy me a state-of-the-art home theater as well (LOL)????

Just Kidding!!!!!!!
Dude, don't believe the people who say you can't have a great system. You can.

Also, video is the most satisfying part of HT and outweights audio imho. That big screen is where your audience will be glued. I would for instance definitely go with a fixed frame stewart. Stewart is the hollywood of the industry, and they are built absolutely amazing, and all custom spec'd. You can always switch out fabrics later. Customer service is top notch, and why put a V8 in a Yugo if you know what I am saying. Spend the whopping 500 more than a Dalite, and do it right the first time.

For a pj, i recommend the Sanyo PLV 70 or NEC HT1000. Both can be had under 5k. + 1200 for a screen = 6200. No scalar required for EITHER. Don't do retractable screen either to keep cost down.

Stick with surefire things on audio--M&K S150s across the front, SS150s in the rear. That should be 3k. Awesome HT sound, all mountable, and designed for HT. I have heard Apollo 13 on these, and it is jaw-dropping for the price.

For electronics, I agree on separates as you can get good separates for same price as mega receiver. Go with a B&K Ref 50 and a Sherbourn 5/1500A. That should be 3.5k. Couple SVS subs for another 1500 and you are in business. BTW, since you want the earth shaking i have included 2. Contact SVS with your room requirments and go with there suggestion. Again, another company with exception service. 8k on the audio side.

Your dvd player should be the latest and greatest Panasonic for under 200 bucks.

That leaves the remaining 4k for seats/room acoustics. Cables i suggest building yourself, and save your self hundreds of dollars. Either that, or go to bluejeancable.com Well-built, not expensive.

See, you can do it, and many have done it for less. BTW, you could even conceivable go HD2 with this budget if you find a good price. My personal fav (and the one i own) is the Marantz S2.

Good luck!

KeithR
Hi End is, obviously, from the posts here, is in the ears of the beholder...as it should be. peace, warren