Tubed pre-amp for solid state amp?

I heard that the cheapest alternative, to ALL tubed components, is tube pre, and ss amp?! Need recommendation for tubed Pre-amp, to match with the amp with the input of 10Kohm (Linn LK-100)The amp is little on the "dry" side, so i am "yearning" harmonic richness. Around 6-$800 Thanks!
ssing240be
good idea-yust the ticket. but, i'm not sure about your price-point - may have to spend a bit more. i 1st tried the rogue 99 - great sound, but poor bass - i tink the impedance input of my x-over ( i run subs-n-sats) was too low, at 25kohms. your 10kohms will be even worse. so, i tried a cary slp98, & a melos music director. well, the cary smoked the rogue in *all* areas, but the music director is simply amazing! amps consist of a pair of electrocompaniets bi-amping my monitor speakers, & a pair of bridged adcom gfa-555's driving my subs. now for shameless plug: wanna buy a cary slp98l, perfect condition? ;~) doug. (ps - i had a linn kairn w/brilliant p/s prior to my tube-foray).
Yes it is a good idea, the tube preamp with smooth out the solid state sound. Get any Conrad Johnson. The PC-10 would be an excellent choice.
i used to have a carver tfm35 that i used with a cal icon mk ii. i added cj's pv10al. it warmed the sound right up. and provided me with more detail and a better all around sound. i later used the pv10 with cj's mv55 when i decided to leave solid state. in short, a tube pre coupled with a solid state amp is a good idea in concept. listen to a few combos to insure the the execution comes off well. give the pv10 a listen. good luck.
I am currently using a Sonic Frontier Line 3 to drive a Bryston 4BST. The results are very close to what I get with a Krell KSA 200. Overall I am very happy with the results.
Ssing2- I am using a BAT vk3i pre w/McCormack DNA 0.5 dlx. Line stage only but sounds great and superior to the ARC SP9 MKII hybrid pre, which is now parked while I decide whether to sell or use in a 2nd system in my office. However, ARC phono stage was excellent, so depends on your source. However, I agree with others that this is a good way to go and avoids the high cost of feeding tubes to a power amp.