Audio Research vs Sonic Frontiers

I am looking for opinions on a choice for preamp between the Audio Research LS 25 and the Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamps Help!!!
otis
Don't go by what people tell you! Go listen for yourself.. Everyone has different opinions and likings. I recent bought the SF Power 3, and some people or reviewers don't like them at all. But, I love them. I have heard the ARC and VTL. Yes, they are richer in midrange, but the SF excel in all of the other areas. Accuracy, speed and the dynamics. Go by you own years. I am using the Convergent Audio Tech. Ultimate preamp, it's excellent.. If you are in the price range, why don't you check these out.. They are expensive, but I feel they sound better than the REF2 ARC . Good luck.
Don't go by what people tell you! Go listen for yourself.. Everyone has different opinions and likings. I recent bought the SF Power 3, and some people or reviewers don't like them at all. But, I love them. I have heard the ARC and VTL. Yes, they are richer in midrange, but the SF excel in all of the other areas. Accuracy, speed and the dynamics. Go by you own years. I am using the Convergent Audio Tech. Ultimate preamp, it's excellent.. If you are in the price range, why don't you check these out.. They are expensive, but I feel they sound better than the REF2 ARC . Good luck.
I've owned both ARC (SP-15) and Sonic Frontiers (Anthem Pre-1) preamps, and the CAT SL-1 III (with phono) that I'm selling on Audiogon is worlds better than either. Not to make an ad out of this comment, I agree that you should go by your own ears, if you're determined to get either ARC or Sonic Frontiers. But there are a lot of much better preamps available on the used market, like mine with its customized signal path. Good luck with your choice.
I've not heard the LS 25, but have lived with the SF Line 2 for over two years. The Line 2 is tonally very neutral/accurate, ie not at all euphonic-- with the stock Sovtek tubes. So if you want that warm, "tubey" sound the Line 2 won't satisfy, but if you value tonal neutrality, the Line 2 is excellent. In addition it is detailed, smooth, and has good soundstaging. For less money, the Line 1 sounds a lot like the the Line 2 but is a little more "aggressive", and I prefer the Line 2. Also, all the Line series pre-amps have great features. If you do want a warm tubey sound, a tube change in the Line 2 is fairly inexpensive. Good Hunting. Craig.
Sold a Ref 1 and got a SF line 3. Am very happy with the trade up. Ref 1 and a previous LS2B were both too bright. The SF is totally neutral, cheaper, has better definition, resolution, and base. The one area that just can't be a matter of opinion or taste is S/N ratio. Both ARC products had ground loop problems that gave totally unacceptable 60Hz hum. I corrected the problem somewhat by using a cheater plug. When I connected a video source that was connected to my cable TV (AT&T) the hum came back big time. This means if you plan on using the preamp as any part of a home theater system... don't buy ARC..