Recommendations: poor college kid; NAD?

I have always been into music and movies, expescially when it comes to home theatre. That should be the first thing i say: I am looking for this more for Home Theatre than pure music. That said, I was looking online for a receiver, when i ran across a Denon THX Dolby Digital, etc, etc that got my heart pumping. In the computer lab where I work (and where I was veiwing this piece of machinery), a teacher came up and was telling me about the system he has built thus far, and then recommended NAD to me as a high quality, low frills reciever. I checked out their website and found something with THX, but still that looked like an excellent receiver. What I am wondering is if you guys have any advice on a nice receiver that will support what I want to do, which is mainly watch DVDs. I would prefer if it had that "optical digital input," since from what I hear that is the best way to transport the information, but i might be wrong on that too. Any advice you guys have would be great! thanks!
nateziarek
Right now I have a AIWA with pro-logic. I am running a couple of Bose 201 as center and some 501s as right/left (i know y'all hate them, but all four were free). I don't have any rears hooked up as it is, but I have been looking for some. As it stands, I like my system. DVDs, VHS tapes, and CDs sound pretty damn good to this ear. What I feel that I am missing from teh experience is the Dolby digital 5.1. I know how people will praise just about anything under the sun, but this really seems like it is a quality improvement unlike so many other things (like dsp modes - it sounds nothing like a concert hall or stadium or...). What I figure is that if I am going to invest and upgrade my equipment, then now might not be a bad time to look into something a little higher end. A friend also suggested marantz, and I found a pre/amp combo that looked very promising, although quite out of my price range (the AV560 and the MM9000). What I am thinking, though, is just to save, look here for dealer models, etc, and try my best to buy something quality. Thankx for all of your responses and if you have more, let me know. -nate
Nate- I have had NAD AV int. amp, NAD tuner, NAD tape deck, and NAD CD at various times. Had a few minor problems with tuner 10 years ago. They do source their equipment from different factories around the world, so there is likely to be significant differences between models. Anyways, used NAD gear should be widely available, and has little depreciation after the first purchaser takes the initial hit (except as technology/formats change). With respect to 5.1, I found a significant difference going to DD/DTS from my Pro-logic set up, but some/much of that was probably also associated with going to a DVD. As for speakers, you should be able to find small NHT or Paradigms used for cheap (major step up from the Bose). Also don't forget to save some $ for mid line interconnects and speaker wire. Again, buy at auction or classifieds, but definately worth it.
Nate, I'm telling you as a guy who started just like you, don't go crazy on the receiver. Check out how many receivers are on the audiogon website and see how many don't sell. I would get a decent receiver used or one new on-line and save the money to upgrade your speakers. Try to get one with DTS as well. In the future there are so many formats on the horizon such as 7.1 (EX). No high quality receiver can touch a solid pre/pro and quality amps. Wait until you can afford those. The truth is you'll notice very little difference at all between the best Receiver and a used one when driving you BOSE. So..... SPEAKERS, SPEAKERS, SPEAKERS. Try this test. Find a dealer who is willing to let you set up your BOSE in their store and compare them to a $500-$600 pair of speakers from a good company (ie, PSB, Paradigm, B&W, etc) (No Polks or Klipsh which are BIG in college) see if after the demo, you don't want to buy those speakers on the spot and dump the Bose. I hope I don't sound too preachy, but like I said, I was in your position not too long ago and that's what I would do now.