preamps - vtl tl5.5/rogue 99/linn kairn

i currently use a linn kairn w/brilliant p/s & fono - great transparency/detail/clarity/pace, & convenience. considering toobs, & have narrowed it down to the vtl tl-5.5 & the rogue 99. both have optional internal fono, like the linn. i'm interested in the possibility of better soundstage depth, but don't wanna give up what the linn does well. speakers are meret re's, bi-amped w/a pair of electrocompaniet amps; lo-end is x-over'd at 60hz w/a marchand 24db/octave x-over, to a pair of bridged adcom gfa 555's driving vmps larger subs. any comments/suggestions? max budget is ~$2k (new *or* used). thanks
sedond
gmele,

no, these don't come up f/s frequently - which is why i bought one when i found it, even tho i had purchased the cary only a couple weeks prior. i'd always wanted to try one - i really liked the sha-gold, which i'd heard before. (this is basically a less-expensive 1-box wersion, not in true balanced configuraqtion.) i figured i'd a-b 'em, & keep the one i liked best. the melos stayed.

there was one other one awailable that i found out about yust after buying mine; i tink i still have the guy's email address if yer innerested; he was asking $2100...

I've heard the Rogue 99 and it was fabulous! A much sweeter and more layered presentation than the 3A. The AI M3A is a very nice sounding preamp (which I currently own). Just hope you NEVER have to send it back to AI for service. If you do you will encounter the most disfunctional people in the industry. They have preamps which have been returned for service for so long after they have promised (over and over again) to return them (sometimes 4-6 months), that they have to screen their calls to avoid their angry customers. I have owned 4 AI preamps and all have been sonic bargains, but the total lack of integrity I've encountered with the company has forced me to say I'll not own another.
I have also heard that there customer service is lacking (Big Time). At this point I have not had to send mine back for any service. As luck would have it my dealer has both AIM3's and just recently added the entire Rouge line. As soon as he gets back from the CES I plan on trying to get a 99 for an in home audiotion. At this point I only use my 3A for a line stage using my EAR 834P for a phono stage, which is a big improvement over the 3A phono stage. I just put in some NOS Tungrams from Upscale Audio, they need some time to break in put I have to say it's sounding great. I look forward to tring out the 99. Best-Gary