How do you judge your system's neutrality?

Here’s an answer I’ve been kicking around: Your system is becoming more neutral whenever you change a system element (component, cable, room treatment, etc.) and you get the following results:

(1) Individual pieces of music sound more unique.
(2) Your music collection sounds more diverse.

This theory occurred to me one day when I changed amps and noticed that the timbres of instruments were suddenly more distinct from one another. With the old amp, all instruments seemed to have a common harmonic element (the signature of the amp?!). With the new amp, individual instrument timbres sounded more unique and the range of instrument timbres sounded more diverse. I went on to notice that whole songs (and even whole albums) sounded more unique, and that my music collection, taken as a whole, sounded more diverse.

That led me to the following idea: If, after changing a system element, (1) individual pieces of music sound more unique, and (2) your music collection sounds more diverse, then your system is contributing less of its own signature to the music. And less signature means more neutral.

Thoughts?

P.S. This is only a way of judging the relative neutrality of a system. Judging the absolute neutrality of a system is a philosophical question for another day.

P.P.S. I don’t believe a system’s signature can be reduced to zero. But it doesn’t follow from that that differences in neutrality do not exist.

P.P.P.S. I’m not suggesting that neutrality is the most important goal in building an audio system, but in my experience, the changes that have resulted in greater neutrality (using the standard above) have also been the changes that resulted in more musical enjoyment.
bryoncunningham
i admit that you can measure frequency response of a stereo system, which while an incomplete measurement of accuracy, may be sufficient for most purposes.

if each component in a stereo system were accurate, there could still be impedance mismatches, and the affects of long cables upon frequency response as well as other unintended consequences.
i admit that you can measure frequency response of a stereo system, which while an incomplete measurement of accuracy, may be sufficient for most purposes.

As you no doubt know, there are many other measurements relevant to accuracy besides frequency response, such as: Impulse response, harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, transient intermodulation distortion, signal to noise, crosstalk, jitter...the list goes on. Each of these is a measurement of how a component's output differs from its input, which is, by definition, inaccuracy. Hence there are many measurements relevant to an assessment of a component's accuracy.

if each component in a stereo system were accurate, there could still be impedance mismatches, and the affects of long cables upon frequency response as well as other unintended consequences.

Agreed. A collection of accurate components does not guarantee an accurate system, since interactions among components can diminish the system's accuracy. Having said that, I believe that a collection of accurate components is more likely to result in an accurate system than a collection of components chosen for their "counterbalancing" colorations.

Of course, many audiophiles value musicality or some other characteristic more than accuracy, as this thread has illustrated.

Bryon
05-10-11: Roysen
Neutrality is what we are searching for. It’s the ultimate goal. That is why we upgrade. To get sound played back closer in quality to the real thing.

Roysen – If you look at the posts on this thread, especially those by Newbee and Learsfool, you will see that some audiophiles do not value neutrality, or at least they do not prioritize it above other considerations.

Personally, I do value neutrality. But I do not regard it as the “ultimate” goal, as you do.

Our definitions of "neutrality" are similar, though not identical. You define neutrality as accuracy (relative to the recording). On this thread, I defined neutrality as the degree of absence of colorations, and I defined "colorations" as audible inaccuracies (relative to the recording).

If we choose your definition of neutrality, then greater neutrality is synonymous with being more truthful to the recording. If we choose my definition of neutrality, then greater neutrality is *nearly* synonymous with being more truthful to the recording.

I say “nearly synonymous” because, since I define neutrality in terms of *audible* inaccuracies, I must acknowledge that, while more audible inaccuracies always amounts to less neutrality, less neutrality does not always amount to more audible inaccuracies, for the simple reason that some inaccuracies are inaudible. If you can understand that sentence on first reading, you are a smarter man than I am. Nevertheless, it is a true statement, I believe. But it is irrelevant to the point I am trying to arrive at, which is...

I do not believe that greater neutrality *always* results in sound that is, as you put it, “closer to the real thing.” I believe that, sometimes, small movements away from accuracy to the recording (i.e. away from neutrality) results in sound that is "closer to the real thing."

The reason is this: Many, perhaps all, recordings REMOVE information that was present at the real event. Hence, a system that tries to ADD the missing information back may actually sound closer to the live event than the system that is strictly accurate to the recording (i.e. neutral). Of course, the EXACT information from the live event is lost forever, if it does not make it to the recording. But I believe that an APPROXIMATION of the lost information can sometimes be added back, and that by doing so, the system may be "closer to the real thing."

I do not mean to overstate this. I do believe that efforts to make a system more accurate to the recording, and hence more neutral, will *generally* result in sound that is more truthful to the live event. But I do not think that is *always* the case.

05-10-11: Tbg
I do believe in "objective truth."…
When it comes to audio, however, I would imagine that it would be very difficult to find agreement as to what objective measures might be used to assess which speaker is better. It is easy to assess frequency response, phase correctness, and dispersion. Perhaps we could even agree about distortion. Were we to then choose the ten best speakers and conduct listening sessions, I doubt that we would have any agreement about which is best. The reason is we are missing too much of what makes a speaker better and don't share opinions about these other attributes, much less having the capability to measure them.

As I mentioned on the Tidal thread, there are two issues at stake…

1. IS component x neutral?
2. HOW DO WE KNOW if component x is neutral?

My impression is that Roysen is arguing that there are objective truths about (1) and you are arguing that there are not objective truths about (2).

But the absence of objective truths about (2) does not prevent the existence of objective truths about (1). That was the point I was trying to make on the Tidal thread.

Put another way, the fact that audiophiles cannot agree about the neutrality of a component does not mean that there is no fact of the matter about the neutrality of a component. Intersubjective agreement is not a necessary condition of objective truths. That is the whole point of saying a truth is “objective.” The force of the term “objective” with respect to truth is to express the idea that truth is INDEPENDENT OF PERSONS. And if truth is independent of persons, then agreement or disagreement is irrelevant to whether or not a component is, in fact, neutral.

On the other hand, agreement and disagreement are not irrelevant to the QUESTION of whether a component is neutral or not. This may appear to be a play on words -- I admit that I'm in a bit of a Lewis Carroll mood today. But I can assure you that my comments are in earnest.

Lastly, all of this has nothing to do with preference. People should choose components according to their own preferences, not someone else’s.

Bryon
Bryoncunningham, when you are assessing whether component x is neutral in any objective sense, you have to use measures that others will agree or valid. If you use multiple measures, you have to further argue how they interface or what weight should be given to each. I have no certainty that we could ever reach any agreement on valid measures. I have no idea whether one speaker would stand apart once we had done all of this. So I totally reject any notion that there is truth independent of persons.

I think the entire discussion is largely irrelevant as people will buy what they like and can afford.
I think the entire discussion is largely irrelevant...

In light of this, I hope you will understand if I decline to answer you.

bc