Why spend megabucks on a tuner?

I've seen old Marantz and McIntosh tuners sold here on Audiogon for a fortune. My question is: Why?

Most radio stations now have highly compressed dynamics. Most of the few that don't (for my location, anyway) are located on the fringes of reception. And then what happens when you move to a different location, which may have even fewer good listening choices?

At least with a turntable or CD player, I feel that you have a lot more choices. And, it's not location-dependent. With streaming audio becoming a reality for most people, and now HD radio (which I'll admit I haven't heard yet), why is there still such a market for high-end tuners?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
I listen to FM more because I like to hear new material or songs I don't own bur remember fondly.

Yes, I would agree that most FM listening is now via car radios. This is where I get most of my FM listening. Yes, compressed music in an automotive environment does make sense....I am, first, driving my car somewhere...while filling in the time with my music.

At home I usually go for streaming audio when I am not listening to my playlists. Some years ago I found an old Fisher Series Eighty AM/FM (mono!) tuner. I gave the man $15.00 for it. I spent a pretty fortune having it restored and it does sound sweet.

But I have a slimdevices Transporter now and it's own DAC is really good. It is rare that I now power up the old Fisher.
Well vintage tuner's make great nightlights. Actually, Unclejeff hit the nail on the head. Listen to hear new music and remind yourself about great music you don't yet own or just haven't pulled out and enjoyed for a while. After listening to Jeff Buckley sing Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah" last weekend I knew it was one I had to buy. What a voice! As an aside, saw that download speeds could be at dialup speeds by 2010 due to gridlock as consumer demand increases. Wonder how that will affect streaming.
Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I have just replaced several components in my main listening system and am now listening through a wonderful pair of JM Lab 927Be Speakers. I've been a regular listener to two local stations - one classical and one college jazz station - that do not compress their signals. I have a nicely restored McIntosh MR-73 Tuner that I had restored about six years ago that does a great job picking up local stations. One of the things I enjoy about my morning listening to the classical FM station; is the vast number of CDs they play as well as news broadcasts on the hour from the BBC. In some cases, I will chase down the CD at a local shop or make a point of seeing the piece performed live by our local Oregon Symphony.
While I'm more than aware that many of the stations compress their signal; I'm blessed to have two that I listen to frequently that don't. By the way, I bought the
tuner through an E-Bay auction at a great price and even after the restoration - with a new glass panel and new bulbs - I could easily sell it for more than I paid for it some six years ago.
It's easy to dismiss FM radio if you don't have any great stations to listen to, but I'm fortunate to have them.
Answer simple. With a LP or CD you have to buy cd or venyl.
As we can't listen to cd with out a cd in! right? Radio station cost nothing... So i thing it a wise investment.