How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Death, its that simple. If you are into audio you are doomed, best to hope for is a place in haven in their hi end sector.
Think of it like quicksand. The more you struggle, the more you sink.
A person will gradually begin to sink in quicksand, and movement will make the victim sink faster.
and it is not easy to get out once you fall in:
The force needed for someone to pull their foot out of quicksand at a speed of a centimeter a second would be the equivalent of that required to lift a medium-size car. So don't ask your friends to tug on you; they're likely to pull you into two pieces if they try hard to pull you out.
So how do you get out of quicksand? Does this also apply to stereo on a psychic, not physical, level?
The way to do it is to wriggle your legs around. This creates a space between the legs and the quicksand through which water can flow down to dilate (loosen) the sand. You can get out using this technique, if you do it slowly and progressively.
Schubert, in my case, being retired, quality reproduction of classic performances no longer relax me at the end of the day, but as long as I can hear and am alive, I will still occasionally shout "bravo" at the end of some cuts.

My dad needed music and evidently passed on the genes.