Best 2.0 powered computer speakers?

What would you suggest?
128x128jwilsco
I had a pair of Krk rockit 8's hooked up to my i phone via 3.5mm to Rca's. I was, therefore, using the dac in my i phone... this was NOT what I would any longer consider to be good sound. Bass and high treble are accentuated and there wasn't much inner detail or quality midrange.

I always wanted to try using them with a quality dac and xlr's... I imagine that would improve the sound by a good margin.

I've looked and looked for a good quality, self powered set up for awhile. I always come to the conclusion that I personally can find a better sounding setup via separate amp and speakers for the $, and there is more tun-ability this way.

However, brands to check out are Audioengine, krk, Adam, emotiva, genelec, mackie, dynaudio (xeo's sound really good), focal (solo 6 BE).
"12-27-14: B_limo
I had a pair of Krk rockit 8's hooked up to my i phone via 3.5mm to Rca's. I was, therefore, using the dac in my i phone... this was NOT what I would any longer consider to be good sound. Bass and high treble are accentuated and there wasn't much inner detail or quality midrange."

I think there's a good chance the poor SQ wasn't due to the speakers. About 6 months ago, I bought an iPod Nano. I put some loss less files on it and did some listening. I'm not sure why, but the thing sounded really bad. Going back and forth between the CD's I ripped for the iPod and the ripped files, there was a very big difference. Basically, I got the same results you did. I was playing the CD's on a 10 year old, run of the mill, Yamaha DVD player. Its nothing special, but it did sound way better than the iPod.
Chiming in late, I realize, but my two cents: I own Audioengine A2 and they sound really good. I have them hooked to a Squeezebox Touch, that has a good DAC section, and the sound from the A2 is surprisingly good (in the context of their price and size).

I have not experienced any volume knob issues. In my case, I set it to the level I want to listen at, and then use the digital volume control in the SBT when I need lower volume temporarily.

I will probably get another pair.
Big bump. Can’t stay quiet about the DSP8000’s. I only have them because a pair came up used locally but these are really worth a listen.