Why do designers/manufacturers...?

If audiophile grade feet, power cords, and fuses can really improve SQ, why don't high end designers/manufacturers just incorporate these audiophile grade components at the time of build? Why sell an under-optimized item that can be easily improved upon by the owner or a modder?
rockyboy
Geoffkait:

Are you claiming that most manufacturers are not aware of old rusty springs and/or hair dryers?
For me "Rlwainwright" said it all. Case in point, QUAD ESL 63 loudspeakers still sound wonderful (not perfect) after all these years. If Peter Walker (the designer) thought they could have been improved using audio voodoo, I am sure he would have done it. In fact, he thought so little of audio voodoo he was prepared to argue, and demonstrate at length, things like expensive speaker cable had no noticeable improvement on sound quality. Oops, this is going to upset someone!
I actually asked that question to two designers of electronics (major designers) --- each were uniform in their response. They both said re: power cords that power cords do not sufficiently contribute to the sound and, as such, they would not raise their costs by way of putting a "better" power cord on their product because it would not enhance the sound. The one designer (extremely well known)said it is an audiophile myth that power cords matter overly --- but that he designs now (like everyone) such that you can put an after market cord on if you desire. he said he does this "because those myths matter in what people are willing to buy... so because they want that flexibility... he would give it to them (even though it matters either not at all in terms of sound/or minimally in terms of sound)."