Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
Hi Learsfool,

Yes...i was surprised after many years of not trying it, that the Laphroig 10 year is actually quite good. I think the last time, i had yet to be introduced to real peat...and i found it way too smoky. Now that i find myself enjoy Islay whisky's...i was quite pleasantly surprised by Laphroig. Very, very sweet, thick (or oily as they describe it)...and very nice rich smoke.

I have the Lagavulin 12, 16 and distiller's edition at home...would love to get 21-year but too expensive!!!

Am on the waitlist for a 21-year Springbank!!!!!! whoo hoo!
I had a dram of 25YO Longrow at a friends the other night, really impressive stuff.
I've also enjoyed 30 and 40 YO Laphroig both great but the 30 might hold a slight edge.
21 year-old The Balvenie, purchased about nine years ago, is the best I have tasted.
However,I have not tasted many.
Wow...30 & 40 laphroig are well regarded. I have tasted Balvenie but not the older ones.

I am still waiting for Springbank 21...and my current whisky collection is slowly dropping every weekend!
After so many years as an Audiogoner, I finally found this forum. Now I know why I own 15 different types of scotch. It's because I own 15 different audio components. The two go hand-in-hand!

Now for my two cents for favorite single malt. I have been to Scotland, tried many fabulous scotches, but have always come back to Macallan 18 year old as my "must have" bottle.