Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
Awl hell, why not. I’ve been addicted to this site ever since I found it, so why not fess up. 28 and living in NYC. (Still a youngster compared to many of those surveyed, though less so than I expected, truth be told). Grew up more or less in the D.C. area (Virginia, actually), went to CT for college, and was actually living in Spain (teaching, playing dilettante, and making an effort to write a book about a couple of timely summers spent in Russia and the conveniently interposed fall of the Soviet empire) when I came up with the jackass idea that, in order to properly understand all of the socio-political vectors and whatnot that go into this fancy new rule of law concept that was emerging in Russia, law school might be a good idea. Yea, jackass idea, back to VA for law school. Now, I’m doing more-or-less international arbitration and litigation in New York. Alas. My first "system" was a cobbled-together Yamaha / Infinity combo that I did sophomore year in college. I then spent the next nine years fantasizing about all of the upgrades I might get if and when I had the money. (Built a pair of speakers once, blew one out at a party, and then threw it out of a fifth story window for good measure. No injuries). Now it appears that I have the money, I got the system I was (had been...) dreaming of, the only trick is that I continue to dream of yet more expensive additions. . . Other interests? Seems that single malt scotch and wine are almost de rigeur - yea, me too. I’ve also been sporadically and consumingly obsessed, for years at a time, with rowing, skiing, sailing, rock climbing, Aikido, writing, scuba diving, fly fishing, and mountain biking - none of which seem to fit all that well with my lifestyle in NYC these days, sadly. Current obsessions, aside from sitting in front of the hi-fi with a stupid grin, include live music of nearly any stripe (though mostly jazz and blues - try to catch at least a show a week), languages (do most of my pleasure reading in either Spanish or French, though I almost never get to go), and girls. (Yea, single). Keep the stories coming, folks, this is quality stuff.
I am 46, married to the most wonderful woman in the world, have two terrific girls 7 and 8yrs, who in turn have a dog, two cats and a mouse. I live in New Zealand and descend from the marriage between one of the first British missionaries to New Zealand and the daughter of a tribal Maori King named Tamatewhakanene (pronounced Tar mar tay far ka nay nay). King "T" was the final signatory to this country's founding (but controversial) legal document, the Treaty Of Waitangi. I live in the ludicrously small city of Wellington, which is this country's capital, windy like Chicago and shakey like California, more cafes per head than New York. Commuting to the city is 5 minutes for me, 10 minutes in 'rush hour' - yet I live in a suburb that enjoys spectacular harbour views, abundant vegetation, bush walks and large sections (blocks of land). I am a business economist/strategist working in telecommunications. I have been involved in a number of audio ventures including manufacturing and marketing a valve preamp, and have good friendships with a number of people in the music, audio and film industries in New Zealand. Up till recently I had a good business sideline in Fiji, but the recent coup there has destroyed that opportunity for the present, much to my disappointment. If that coup had not occurred I would probably be now living in Fiji full-time. I have been actively keen (ie. spending money) on music since around 10 years old - first interests being the Beatles, quickly dropped for the Rolling Stones (at 10 and a half). Then ventured into Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, ELP etc (around 13). Followed by discovering Blues (15), then Classical (22), then Jazz (28). These days I have dropped the interest in pop and most electronic music in general. I dropped buying Classical when I reluctantly moved from vinyl to CD (very hard to get vinyl here) about five years ago. Somehow Classical has never sounded musical to me on CD. But I still go to Classical music concerts. Like many (but obviously not all) audiophiles I prefer to listen to mostly acoustic music and so my preferences are mainly Jazz, Blues with some Country and Folk sprinkled in too. Therefore my preferences in audio system are for transparency and timbral accuracy rather than for horse-power. My all-time favourite musicians include; Junior Wells (mainly when teamed with Buddy Guy playing guitar), James Brown, Shirley Horn, Sarah Vaughan, Lightnin' Hopkins, Bill Evans, Count Basie (his small band stuff), Tom Waits (but not the whole repertoire). My taste in people is confined to those with intellect, humour, honesty and self-respect - and so my friendships are few but deep. I am an introvert and so enjoy the solitude of a glass of wine, good music and a good book. My other 'phile obsessions and occupations are wine, coffee, motor-racing and rugby. I really enjoy reading Audiogon posts but do not contribute much as, being an introvert, I tend to wait till I feel I have something unique to say. One of my hobby-horses in the audio field is that audio magazines are not as relevant as most seem to believe. I feel the audio press is sadly, but understandably, all style and no substance - that journalism triumphs over reality, and that much of the audio vernacular is driven by these audio journalists needing to make the issues concerning a component more complicated than they really are. I find that I react to a component according to whether or not I can enjoy music when it is inserted in the chain, and that the attempts of audio journalists to categorise the sound issues into narrow components merely makes for a longer story - not greater insight.
Guys, you know what is missing, is emails, we should post our emails. Thai will allow us to communicate directly if we elect to. What do you think? Mine is [email protected]
hi mohamed, if anyone posting is an audiogon member, then they can be emailed directly, by yust looking up their user id in audiogon's list. if *not* a member, then ya have to post yer email address to get your comments posted. regards, [email protected]
Redkiwi, being a Junior Wells fan, has inspired me to post. My username is hdm, short for Hoodoo Man, one of Junior's many great songs. Had the opportunity to see him numerous times before he passed away a few years ago. I'm a 41 year old real estate broker (selling real estate in London, Canada, right smack between Toronto and Detroit) for the past 21 years, married with a great wife who is pretty tolerant of my hobby and two boys, 7 and 4. Have really enjoyed music since about the age of 14, but my musical tastes have definitely changed over time. Now mainly a post war Chicago Blues and Jazz fan, but enjoy lots of different stuff-Tom Waits, recent Johnny Cash, female vocalists etc. Pretty much a "budget audiophile" and have built a modest, but musical system over the years. Don't change much in the way of equipment, and didn't even have a CD player until about 4 years ago. System must sound ok as my wife's comment after seeing Diana Krall live about a year ago was "she sounds better at home". Actually, the venue we saw her in is notorious for lousy acoustics, and we prefer to see blues acts in seedy bars where we can drink to enhance our appreciation of the musical event!