Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
Hi, This was a great idea. My real name is Todd, I am 31, recently moved to LA for work. I think I can trace my audio habits back to junior high when I like many of you out there saved up all my money for a few months and went down to Sears for an all in one system. True nirvana for a 14 yr old. I then spent all my summer earnings one year in college to buy the "incredible" Bose 901's and a Yamaha integrated amp that got me through graduate school. Now I have gone off the audio deep end and am loving every minute of it (aside from the bill time). Otherwise, in real life I am a newly practicing orthopaedic surgeon and love surfing, cycling, basketball, and volleyball. My weaknesses are for port, chocolate cake, and good mexican food. My best day would be spent at the beach with my girlfriend, a bottle of wine and a towel.
Welcome to LA Todd! Great thread BTW David. My name is John and I am 30 years old born and raised in Southern California (I know this might depress some of you). I have been into hifi since I was 13. My first "real system" was a used Carver amp and preamp w/ a Sony CDP, and some cheap Infinity speakers. Initially was a music major in college, but graduated with a degree in history. Have played drums professionaly up to about 4 years ago. Have been married since 97 and now find myself spending the time I would have spent playing my drums listening to music on my Wadia/Levinson/ProAc system. I am an Account Executive for a very large Internet company and enjoy cycling (raced competitive for over 7 years), good wine, live jazz and believe it or not working around the house (my house was built in 1922 so I have spent much time doing this). I have bought and sold a ton of gear on this site and have been fortunate enough to meet some great people. It is nice to know that there are others like myself out there. Keep up the good work!
I have to say, You, people are so much better than i am! While most, of my generation, where preparing for the future, i was a bum (in between the odd-jobs)in Paris, Roterdam and Stavanger. In 86, i ended up in Vegas. That was my city! In between jobs, or no jobs, there were crazy women and gambling. Hard lessons! During those years, i didn't own TV, and had just a $10 Sony transistor, set, always, on the KNPR "classical" station! In '96, i attempted to became a Pro-fighter, but got alergic asthma (running in Vegas, during the Olive trees blooming, is a bad idea)and had to find me a steady job, finally! During those years, i wrote some poetry, and short stories. In '97 i picked-up brush and some oil's and made some "copy's" of the "Masterpieces" just to see if i could do it! I had to try to keep the "tiger" of my back, and explain this life to myself! I've been painting ever since. And at the begining, i made a few $, painting the portraits of the dead relatives, from the photographs. The "high-end" hobby is from years poverty growing-up in Yugoslavia, where only Hi-Fi, "gear" i heard about, was looking into the catalogs an magazines. Now, i have a job as "slot tech" on the night shift in Mississippi Gulf Coast, still hate movies, and like Mozart and Bruckner...! If you are interested check my web-page...and this is not solicitation! Regards! Dragan http://home.worldnet.att./~dragan-v/index.html
Nice idea to know some of our fellow 'philes from a more personal perspective. I may qualifiy as the "old fart" in the crowd, but here's my background. I am almost 58 y.o., was born and raised in the Washington, DC, area, graduated from the Univ of Washington in Seattle (followed by MS from Univ of Utah). I served in the US Army for 7 years during the Vietnam era, and had two tours of duty in Germany. In the years since the early 1970's, I have worked as a human resources manager, and as part-time and full-time graduate professor, teaching in Washington state and on US military bases in the western Pacific. I am currently the HR Director for a non-profit biotechnology research firm in Seattle. I have a 31 year old son who is about to complete his PhD in history at Arizona State Univ, and have a terrific 2 year old grandson. I began my audio hobby in 1964, after buying some Fisher kits (tube tuner, tube integrated amp). I have also sold high-end audio equipment on several occasions between 1974 and 1993. In the last 3 years, I have expanded my interest in audio to include home theater, and have assembled a system that pleases me, but will see further upgrades over the next year (Adcom GTP-750 pre/pro; Bryston 4B-ST and 5B-ST amps; VPI HW-19 Mk 4 TT with Rega RB-900 arm; Lehmann Audio Black Cube phono pre; Rega Jupiter CD player; Sony 550D DVD; JVC S-VHS; Sony WEGA 36" TV; Vandersteen 3A Signature main speakers, with Vandy VCC-1 Signature center speaker; B&W surround speakers; Kimber Kable 8TC bi-wire speaker cable; Kimber Silver Streak and AudioQuest Ruby x3 IC's). The next, and perhaps final, addition to my system will be a SACD player (altho' I intend to wait at least another 1-2 years to see what standard finally becomes common). My other hobbies include: jazz, blues, and classical music (about 4000 LP's and CD's); wood carving (NW Indian masks, etc.); fly fishing; scuba diving; marine photography; good food and wine; rare Scotch whiskies; and UW Husky football.
Hi Garfish, I too like Shirley Horne and was lucky enough to see her at a NYC jazz club several years ago. It was a memorable experience. I have learned my lesson now and I don't say anything about Diana Krall. I am sorry for my part in what went on way back when. Glad you are discovering and enjoying jazz.