Most Honest Audio Magazine?

I subscribe to Stereophile and I really enjoy reading it but something happened last year that made me raise an eyebrow as to the authenticity of their intentions. Remember the review of the B&W Nautilus 805's? The original reviewer raved about them and rated them "Class A Restricted Low Frequency". Shortly thereafter they demoted the same speaker down to "Class B Restricted Low Frequency". This really hurt the magazine's credibility in my eyes. My first conclusion was that they didn't want to upset the other manufacturers who produced "Class A" products at far higher prices. Shouldn't a trade journal give credit to the truly remarkable products especially when they are produced for relatively decent prices? It's unfortunate that the advertising dollars of the megabuck manufacturers bullied a stellar product into receiving a less than stellar final rating. I'm wondering if this hasn't happened before. I've since heard from some of my audio buddies that corruption does indeed exist in the audio press; everything from reviewers being related to manufacturers to reviewers being offered products for a song (pun intended). Please share your thoughts and experiences when it comes to audio magazines and let me know which ones you'd rate best and worst. Putting together a great system is hard enough without having to sift through the sometimes suspicious advice of those publications who purport to advance the hobby.
canadianguy
there isnt any ONE mag that can be trusted. read several and the different points of view become meaningful. i dont think they all have to arrive at the same conclusion to be credible.
tas has had my respect and support for the longest and will to the end. stereophile has proven to be the most variable of late although im not thinking of cancelling soon as are the knee jerk reactionaries every other month!
in tas, its comforting to know that reg is a math prof at ucla, isnt anti digital, and still plays LPs on his disc centering nak tt.
i for one am a died in the wool vinylphile (7k) who also likes his CDs and would be happy if sacd wins the war.
the concept of sensible sound is good except they are too focussed on ava and shure equip.
audio critic? duh!? as jay lenos character 'mr. brain' would say: 'IDIOT!'.
rip audio. bert whyte was one of the first i ever heard evaluate a monitor sized (small) spkr with a krell amp, followed by many others. what a loss!
give us back fi and audio adventure.
thats not all of them, but my significant cross section.
all that said, i just dont want to have people think ive hidden behind another name, im known on all the other forums as hifitommy. ill get around to having gon change this one day.
.......regards.......tr
The three most powerful mags, Tommy, that mostly set the standard for the entire (*2nd Golden Era) of high end (72 thru 84)were:
The Absolute Sound
IAR
The Audio Critic
Peter Aczel may deny that he hears differences in gear today, but in the 77-81 era of his mag, his ears were certified golden. Perhaps a better judge of loudspeaker quality than any other reviewer. Unfortunately he lost his hearing..........Frank
Honest, hey? Well they speak the truth as they know it. I can take Stereophile in measured doses and I miss Audio. There, that should give you an idea of how old I am and some indication that I still find a scientific approach valuable, although good science would probably give you a Sara Lee cake and good science plus the "magic touch" an incredibly delicious fresh Viennese or French pastry.

I would like a balanced approach of scientifically accurate and proper measurements (I know, I know, what to measure? what to measure?) and explanation of the theory behind the product (no, not marketing theory...) on the one hand, and of quality, sane and sober subjective appraisals on the other. Who's next in line?
audio critic is the best and we should all be supporting it-they tell you the actual value of the components in the component(something ive never seen done before)which tells you whether the product is a good value and can tell you whether the manufacturer is full of it in their claims(one recent review i read).also on my list is hifi choice(uk),what hifi(uk),and hifi world(uk).