Best blues guitarist, Clapton or Green

I know Clapton is God, but is he a better blues guitarist than Peter Green.
cody
Any true blues musician recognizes this as a ridiculous question. There is no "best" blues guitarist. Blues is (are) played for expression, not technique and certainly fretboard pyrotechnics are not a criterion for "best." Expressiveness wins. At any given time a "primitive" player like John Lee Hooker can humiliate a capable player like Clapton. As a guitar player myself, the adulation for Clapton eludes me. He's quite ok, even good. I scarcely listen to him. Obviously capable technically, Clapton just lacks expression. I'm old enough for all of Clapton's recorded output to have been new when I heard it. At no time in his career has he impressed me as unsurpassed. He's always played into a context of many "better" guitarists. Green arguably played closer to Blues but still was not a standard-setter.

Blues isn't about "playing circles around another." when I want to listen to Clapton I listen to Clapton because no one else sounds quite like him. But I don't confuse what he does with a guitar with Blues. It's Blues-influenced and that's fine. But if I want to hear Blues on guitar, give me Joe Callicot, T-Bone Walker, Hubert Sumlin, Albert King, Little Milton, Gatemouth Brown, Luther Tucker, Albert Collins, Lowell Fulson, Elmore James, Guitar Slim, Matt Murphy, Lightnin' Hopkins, Leadbelly, Bloomfield, Hendrix in Blues mode. Certainly Buddy Guy. and if you want a case for Duane Allman, just listen to him on Boz Scaggs' "Loan Me A Dime," 1969. Clapton? Where's the line between Blues and rock? Listen to Hound Dog Taylor on "See Me In The Evening." That will show you Clapton plays Blues like a rock guitar player, not quite competing in Blues expression.

Now we have Bonamassa and Trucks. If they had been Clapton's peers in 1966, I'm not sure we'd be remembering so much about Eric, or even Green.

Phil
Just came across this thread. IMHO, the best blues guitarist was........
Jimi Hendrix!! Yes, Hendrix could play the blues, just listen to some of his earlier recordings and see what I mean!
"MY PERSONAL OPINION".." ERIC CLAPTON IS THE NUMBER ONE ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME". B.B. KING..1987. In August 1968..Eric Clapton's band Cream and their blues album "Wheels of Fire" was number one in sales on the charts in the U.S..no other rock/blues guitarist in the sixties had a number one album..not even Hendrix..during Cream's run from July 1966 to November 1968 they sold fifteen million albums..Hendrix
up until his death in 1970 sold eight million albums..nuff said..Hendrix NEVER HAD A NUMBER ONE ALBUM DURING HIS LIFE TIME..CLAPTON IS KING..which is why the Beatles idolized him and had him play lead guitar on two tracks of the White Album.."While my Guitar Gently Wheeps"..and "Yer Blues"..I saw Hendrix live in Sept. '68 and Clapton twice..in 1970 with Blind Faith and 1978 on his Slow Hand tour..Eric is Beethoven of the guitar..everyone else falls below....The live track on the Wheels of Fire album called "Spoonful" recorded at the Winterland Auditorium in San Francisico in February 1968..is the greatest blues guitar piece of the entire 20th Century and of all time..its a monumental masterpiece..can't touch it..