Soooo many choices.

I think my next upgrade will be to add a DAC. Thinking of somewhere in the 500-1000$ range, used is fine. But, I've been reading lots of you folks' posts and sale ads and test/reviews and ya'll aren't making it easy! lol

We have wireless here in the house and adding streamer capabilities to the system is planned. But getting gear that's better than the mainstream stuff I'm used to, and choosing which will work to make the end result happen wisely, and, picking which we can afford in the correct order is making it real tough to piece it together.
doggitter
Wondering if the Stream Magic 6 might be what we should get. The streaming is a big plus, but I haven't found any reviews focusing on it's DAC quality for real listening. Looks like it maybe has all the inputs I'll need.
One thing about the Gungnir - it doesn't just have balanced outputs - it is a completely balanced design - it's almost like having a bifrost for each channel

Although I'm a fan of Cambridge Audio - I have their latest phono stage - after this experience I'm not a fan of the up-sampling they employ.

I much prefer the Schiit method of processing the sample rate of the actual source signal

The stream magic 6 is a very competant piece of kit and one I had considered very seriously a while back.
If you are considering HD streaming you might want to rethink wireless.

I had a terrible time with wireless streaming WAV files using Apple products - in the end I ran cable to the router. That was one of the reasons I looked at the stream magic 6.

I now have music on a NAS drive wired to the router and my iMac wired to the same router - 24/192 playback no problem

We do have several wireless routers in the area, so perhaps this contributed to the frequent dropouts?

Lots of people did not experience the same problem - maybe it was my router.

Anyhow, water under the bridge now :-)