What About Loom Theory?

Can someone please direct me to information regarding loom theory? I've seen it referred to a number of times on AudiogoN—people saying they endorse it and so on—, but no one seems to say what it is.

If you know the loom theory, would you please articulate it or direct me to somewhere where this theory is articulated?

Thanks,

Aaron
aaronknock
The original poster asked for an explanation of what loom theory was, so I provided the only documented source that I know of where it is explained. I'm not promoting it or saying that it's the answer for everyone, just trying to answer the poster's question.
>>Given all of these component and system-dependent variables, happenstances, and dependencies, it is hard to conceive of how, as a general rule, a single-manufacturer loom would necessarily stand a greater chance of being optimal than a mixed set. For that matter, it would seem likely to have less chance.<<

This may be the case, but given that very little is necessarily true in audio, that gives the claim much less interest or force. Where do we stand if we throw out the word "necessarily"?

It kinda sounds like the claim is saying: because there are so many variables and possible combinations the odds of any single set of power and signal cables working optimally in all possible systems are better for a randomly chosen set of wires than a specific loom. How could we test that?

Or, does the claim say that a loom of power and signal cables selected from the same manufacturer has less chance of working better in a specific system than a random set chosen by, say, a monkey? :) 

The audiophile world is filled with anecdotal musings. In some ways it is a positive, but it is also a great flaw.
Jtimothya, the intended meaning of the concluding paragraph of my last post would have come across more clearly if I had worded it as follows:

"Given all of these component and system-dependent variables, happenstances, and dependencies, it is hard to conceive of how, as a general rule, a single-manufacturer loom would stand a greater chance of being optimal than a mixed set. For that matter, it would seem likely to have less chance. These conclusions presume that the mixed set is optimized by a combination of experimentation, research (including exploration of what cable types other users of the same components have found to be optimal for use with each of those components), and development of as good an understanding as possible of the technical factors that are involved."

Gpgr4blu, thanks for your comment. I have no doubt that your observation about Nordost vs. Cardas is correct, based on a great many anecdotal reports I have seen, and on their very different design approaches and technical parameters. My compliments on the fact that you have carefully qualified your statement by indicating that your loom experimentation has not encompassed power cords and digital cables. I would emphasize to others that the technical factors, design considerations, and component dependencies that are involved in the transmission of analog audio signals are pretty much completely different than those that are involved in the transmission of digital signals and AC power.

Regards,
-- Al
>>These conclusions presume that the mixed set is optimized by a combination of experimentation, research (including exploration of what cable types other users of the same components have found to be optimal for use with each of those components), and development of as good an understanding as possible of the technical factors that are involved.<<

Sure, that's where the case must go, but for how long does the choosing last and across what universe of choice does it roam?

The problem with choosing multiple different cables from multiple different vendors is the evaluation process and the prospect for confidence in its results.

Let me come back to another silly car tire analogy to enhance my point about evaluation: Trying to assess the sonic characteristics of a single cable by inserting it into an existing system strikes me as being about as cogent as assessing Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires by mounting one on a car otherwise shod with Pirelli Sottozeroes. Sure, something will be different, but not in a usefully describable way to anyone interested in Blizzaks.

Given possible combinations within a mixed set, when does combination exploration stop? Given an indefinite amount of time and a universe of choice of all cables (to be generous say that is cut in half by recommendations and research), then it may be possible that a mixed set selection could be better in a specific system than a loom chosen for that system. But likely better? I don't see how that conclusion arrives.

(At the end of the day, I suspect that a person who chooses from a set of looms is likely more confident of their choice than someone picking a combination set from a multitude of vendors. But that's just my opinion.)

I believe the case can be pleaded based on some personal experience, but I do not believe it can be established by an argument appealing to the multiply varied electrical characteristics of the wide world of components and their interactions.

A different theory has some (not all) people choosing mixed sets of cables for a couple different reasons that have nothing to do with a belief that mixed sets are somehow more likely to be better: a) they pick individual cables with different colorations because they want to "tune" the sound of a system using or b) they cannot afford to buy a complete loom all at once.

For the OP (perhaps long gone?) here is a link to an article that tries to lay out the loom case. Yes, the article was sponsored by Nordost.