Apple TV sound quality as a transport

I recently switched from a DVD Changer into a Channel Island DAC to an Apple TV into the same DAC. I was under the impression that the DAC was ultimately responsible for the sound but I swear it actually sounds better. The only change other than the Apple TV is the switch from coaxial from the DVD to optical from the ATV. Is it possible that the ATV sounds better than my DVD changer as a transport?
macallan7
Yes, I've had excellent experiences with my Apple TV, also.

I rip everything to Apple Lossless (m4a) and stream to my 160GB Apple TV, then to my Proceed AVP. I've compared the sound very closely with my Oppo BDP-83 and cannot discern any consistent or substantial difference between the Oppo and AppleTV as a source.

I would say that the AppleTV does sound slightly less liquid as my old Theta David, but I got rid of the David because I could hear the transport spinning, and every 4 years it needed a $500 laser pickup replacement. Ugh. Suffice it to say, that the Apple TV is now the heart of my digital setup (with the Proceed AVP providing the soul.

Even the analog outs from the Apple TV are respectable, not great, but not terrible, and for anyone with "starter" hifi, may be enough.

The convenience and price of the AppleTV is excellent, and as a bonus, I rent movies for the kids, watch podcasts, and stream internet radio for background music.

Meridian makes a system that seems to greatly outclass the AppleTV in interface, but it also costs many thousands of dollars vs. the very cheap Apple TV, and I have not been able to compare the sound quality in any meaningful way.

Regarding the cable, there was a subtle, but noticeable and pleasant, upgrade when I replaced an older Ultralink plastic toslink cable with the Wireworld Supernova 6 glass toslink. The sound was better in every way.

Enjoy your Apple TV!
I've also been using an ATV to store all my music for several years now. I'm impressed with the quality, but always looking to improve. I'm considering adding an Adcom DAC. Will this improve my sound? I'm trying to decide between DAC, a good CD player, or maybe even considering vinyl. All my CDs are standard (not HD or SACD).

The rest of my system is Adcom GFP-565 preamp, Adcom GFA-555 II amp and Snell C/V speakers.

Thank you.
Are you using the Apple TV's analog outs? If so, a DAC will most likely improve things. I'm not very impressed with the Apple TV's analog outputs.

Make usre everything is ripped as either Apple Lossless or similar; no mp3.

What I've found in my system -

Synched music sounds better than streamed music.
Glass optical cables are better than plastic. I bought a $25 glass Sonicwave cable from Amazon and it sounds excellent.
The Audioquest NRG-1 power cable made a very good difference.
Kbarkamian,
Thank you for the advice on the cable(s). I had no idea a power cable would make a difference.

Yes, I am using the RCAs now and they sound pretty decent.

Luckily when I first put all my CDs on iTunes, I didn't know there were different settings. Most are 128! The stuff I bought off iTunes is 256. I haven't heard how that holds up against CDs. I do have some ACC and Apple Lossless and need to go back and re-import.

I think this is a great vehicle to store music, but Apple really upset me that the new Apple TV has no hard drive. So now I decided I buy CDs and not content from Apple in the event they screw something else up and I have to make another change.

I'd also be interested in hearing any other storage suggestions where I don't need to leave my computer on the whole time.

Thanks,

John
Rip your CDs as Apple Lossless, and turn error correction on. It'll take a little while longer, but it's worth it IMO. Not a hhuge difference, but some CDs sound a little better.

I didn't think the power cord would make a difference either, especially using the optical out. Optical out means no electricity gets transferred to the DAC, meaning less noise. Yet it sounds better. I think it could be reduced jitter at the output, but I don't know. Then again, what difference does it make, so long as it sounds better? I bought the power cable from Music Direct. It cost $79, and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Try one out if you've got an extra $79.