Purist Audio Design - Dominus Interconnect Cable

Hi,

Not to downgrade the efforts of cable designers, for me cable industry is the least technical demanding one among the audio equipment manufacture field but the price tags grow exponentially in the past decade. I can pay for technologies like amorphous metal alloys from Stealth or the battery-biased designs of Audioquest. But Purist Audio Design provides inadequate information to convince me to make the purchase. Even their most advanced technology years ago – The Radiant Light Source (RLS), they did not explain the source of the designed illuminating light.

So help me here. How to justify the over $5,000 price tag of Dominus interconnect cable at 1-mter length.

Thanks and Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375
Hello Otto - I am not at all certain what information you need for "your" justification, but Purist Audio is a very reputable company and the lead designer, Jim Aud is very accessable by phone or email. They do publish their specifications and treatments of cables, design and use their own alloys ( Dominus is a copper/silver/gold alloy), design their own dielectrics, and make their own connectors. Purist cables are one of the few that I know that are actually designed by a degreed, scientific engineer - someone that has the legitimate "chops" to discuss their designs and materials. We all wish that cables would not cost as much as they do, but Purist Audio has many less expensive models in their product line as well - all very well detailed and documented as to materials and design.
Cryoed, Shielding, Materials, Engineering, Technology, AWG, Watever would never justify multikilobuck except for Fassion.

For Performance double digits for wires can bring you to peak.
At the very beginning, I mentioned that I can pay for technologies like amorphous metal alloys from Stealth or the battery-biased designs of Audioquest. Because those companies explain the technologies they employ to their cables to convince customers.

Now for Purist Audio Design,

Treatment: Cryoed. It is not uncommon these days. You can even send your tubes to receive cryo treatment.

Shielding: Only a few cables use AIR as shielding. The majority of the rest cables all have their special shielding. What does it make Purist Audio Design shielding unique?

Materials: copper/silver/gold alloy. How precious this alloy is? At least Stealth let us know how difficult to make amorphous metal.

I am not against Dominus cable. On the contrary, I am interested in acquiring it. For me, I just don't have the information can persuade me to do such purchase.

Like The Radiant Light Source (RLS) technology Purist Audio Design so proud of not long ago, they did not explain the source of the designed illuminating light. How can you make people believe without any energy source that a designed illuminating light can long last in a cable? If it depends on natural lighting, how would it function during the night? For me, it is as mysterious as David Cooperfiled walks through the Great Wall.
Yu11375, this is from some review/interview with the Purist Audio dude.

"Purist's most advanced technology uses a light source to illuminate the
cable's dielectric, which produces an ethereal three-dimensional soundfield
that sounds like surround sound from two channels. The Radiant Light
Source (RLS) cables basically add this optical illumination to the company's
award-winning (the absolute sound's 2003 Golden Ear Award Winner for
Interconnect and Loudspeaker Cables) Dominus cables. The Purist web
site describes the RLS cables thusly: "The Radiant Light Cable
System, newly introduced by Purist Audio Design in 1998, is the only
system of its kind in the world. It takes the already superb Dominus cable
and adds a special form of radiant-optical fiber. These optical fibers are
illuminated by a specially designed light source and radiate light around the
conductors. The light changes the properties of the insulation surrounding
the conductors, thus minimizing distortion in music reception.

The result can best be described as a dramatic lowering of the cable's
noise floor. Micro dynamics that previously lay buried in low-level
background noise are revealed. The nuance of musical emotion is laid bare
as never before. The stunning improvement achieved through the Radiant
Light system affords the reality of a musical experience unlike any enjoyed
until now.

I asked Jim if the RLS design had any similarity to the battery-biased
designs like Audioquest's Big Cat series of cables, but he indicated it was a
different concept. He described the concept of dielectric biasing as older
technology developed by Western Electric in the 1930s. And in case you
were wondering, the RLS technology comes at a price: $7350 for a one-
meter pair of RCA-terminated interconnect cables, with an extra $2500 for
the RLS power supply."
Why don't you listen to the Purist Audio cables? It's great to look at a website...listening will give you the best info. BTW...have your checkbook ready. I doubt you even need to go up to Dominus...try Proteus Provectus Praesto or Ventustas...It's reasonable...and killer good.

Use your ears...vs your eyes is my 2 cents...