Ok, so what does Phase Inversion actually do??

Ok, I know it inverts the signal 180 degrees, but what does that do? Where does the signal get interpreted so that it 'changes' the sound...at my ear?

I just went from a Lexicon DC1 to a Sonic Frontiers Line 1, and love the Line 1. I think although the Lexicon played analytically correct, I think the Line 1 plays more true to life. I noticed on my Bee Gees DVD that they sounded very distinct yet harmonized so well. Something I never noticed with my Lexicon. I think Phase Inversion gave the sound more depth and enhanced the upper low frequencies, which may very well have to do with my room interaction.

So what is Phase Inversion??
mdomnick
Pardon to continue asking question: Can phase inversion cancel bass freequencies if you use mono woofer?
I will certainly check the archives, and continue to test. The differences I have heard are definitly subtle to none, but there is something I like about the Phase Inversion with the certain cds. I am anxious to read more...thanks.

m-

after reading the archives I wish I had never asked the question;) Like all things in this dam hobby, listen and set the dial to what you like. I am surprised to hear that studios can and do screw up a recording in so many different ways.

oh well. Thanks again all.
Unless the origianl recording was completely (some parts may be in and others out) in or out of phase it may be quite difficult to distinguish. Audiophile solo recordings are most likely (not guaranteed) to demonstrate the difference. If you were to whistle by blowing and then by sucking (no comments from the peanut gallery, please!) you would hear the equivalent first hand.
Yo Mdomnick,
To understand Phase, think of a kick drum with a microphone in front of it. When the drummer presses down on the pedal, the beater hits the drum head and a sound wave radiates from the drum to the microphone. The front of the wave causes the mic to move inward and produce a positive signal that when played back should move the cone of a loudspeaker outward toward the listener. If the wires to the spearker are reversed (or the phase is reversed) then the cone will move inward during the drum "beat" and the dynamics of the drumbeat will be changed (diminished). Not all instruments produce sounds that are as phase dependent as drums...organs and woodwinds for instance...but most are thought to sound better if played back "in phase" than "out of phase". Don't think about it too hard or you'll wind up in an "out of phase" condition.