Is there a Rosetta Stone for digital speak?

Trying to transition from CD transport and DAC to computer HD based system without making horrific mistteps. Running into a hail storm of tech speak and different formats which keeps me on the fence indefinitely waiting for the whole thing to reach some sort of stability.

Willing to invest a respectable amount for longer term viability of the components, but which direction?

Purchased and then returned without using the Mojo system as I started counting up how many separate pieces to make it all work. Ridiculous!!! And I'm not just picking on Mojo. Make fun of Bose as we all do, but a simple two box solution would be welcomed.

Does some manufacturer have this figured out? Thanks for understanding the rant.
celtic66
Admranger,

The suggestion for Audionirvana+ is simply my repeating of what I've seen Mac people recommend. But I haven't tried it, so no more value than that.

The Oppo USB should be fine for your indended use. I believe the user interfase is not the most user-friendly, but if it floats your boat, then great!
Hi admranger. You wrote: "my cpu is smoking hot up converting all my iTunes songs to a better format so I can see if my old ears can tell a difference." Just a heads-up that if your "iTunes songs" were originally imported as mp3 files, you will not gain any sonic benefits from upconverting. Good luck.

-Jon
Most of my music was imported from my CDs into apple lossless files. I understand that it would be hard to get too much upside to converting 256k files... That's a lot of missing info.
Hi, Admranger:
No intention to be patronizing--just wanted to be sure you were not going to waste time upsampling low rez music.