A New Believer

I have listened to many systems over the years, and have never appreciated the difference speaker cables can make to a sound. In fact, I was so skeptical of the sound changes they can make that I have always not bothered with any special type of cables, generally going for generic (and dare I say it) roughly made ANY copper wire plugged in to amp and speaker. Well, imagine my surprise when I decided to do a blind test and listen to what difference cabling can make. Wow, my Vand 3A Sig's had been getting strangled! (some of you guys may want to strangle me if I told you what connects I had been using). So I am now a firm believer, cables DO make a difference.
joshc
Paul Graham I think I would say perhaps that the folks with the instruments and knowhow to measure system differences have better things to do? No money in it.
Wire doesn't "improve the sound". Some wires degrade the sound less than others. All of them color the sound to some degree, just like any other link in the chain.
For the last 40 years I have been listening to music as a hobby, with attention paid to the equipment I'm using. In the various groups of people in my acquaintance my stereo system has always been one of the best. Some of my family think I'm crazy that way.
In all those years I have never taken the time to "listen" to a wire. Although I do use better than zip cord for speaker cables and don't use the standard interconnects delivered with cheap electronics, I can't honestly say I'd hear any difference in a blind test.
A while back in this thread someone suggested Rok2id get out of this hobby if he didn't want to compare wires. Seriously? WTF?
I'll be listening to some tunes this weekend but probably won't be listening to the wires. Enjoy.
I think perhaps that Rok2id is the opposite end of the spectrum from the 'believers in all tweaks'. There are those who might be so convinced that they will spend big $$$ on snake oil, deceiving themselves that they hear what isn't there. On the other end, those so convinced that there can be no difference and therefore it is sure that they will hear no difference.
He charged me with "listening under the influence" (of my eyes and mind). But in this case I was not "hearing" what I wanted, not what I anticipated, not my expectations. I was hoping and anticipating certain improvements that did not occur. On the contrary, I heard differences that I did not like. This conclusion was made after an extended amount of time, not just from a/b comparisons. I finally took the cables out of my system in spite of the fact that I wanted and expected them to sound better. I frankly could not live with the negative effects that, (in my set-up) were not present before the switch. The opposite of my expectations.
I suggest that hearing the results you expect can go both ways.
ps...I took no negativity from your comments, and intend none.