Do power cords make an audible difference?

I recently discovered the inexpensive Pangea AC-9 power cord. It was so inexpensive I decided, just for kicks, to buy one for my sacd player and my integrated amp. I was extremely doubtful I would hear any difference at all. I plugged them in, turned on the system and I was surprised. I immediately invited a non-audiophile over for a listen. She had only heard my system for maybe 30 minutes with the old cords and I asked her if she could hear a difference. After listening to only two tracks she said "it sounds more clear". This is exactly what I had thought. I also noticed the sound stage seemed bigger. Now, it's not A huge difference but it is noticeable to the casual observer, so it is significant, which is more than I hoped for.
esmith3671
Let's see your electrical current travels X number of hundreds of miles from the generating plant and you are asking if a thicker cord will make a difference the last 4 to 6 feet????No it doesn't.
See? Yes, no, and maybe!

My advice is to try a cable and find out for yourself...you'll never learn the answer via debate.

Let's see your electrical current travels X number of hundreds of miles from the generating plant and you are asking if a thicker cord will make a difference the last 4 to 6 feet????No it doesn't.
09-24-10: Vernneal

No actually it is an extension of the primary winding leads of the power transformer.

Depending on the make-up of the power cord it can do more than just deliver AC power to equipment. It can also filter EMI/RFI from not only entering a piece of equipment but also from exiting and getting back on the mains and contaminating other equipment. Example EMI/RFI hash from a CDP going back out on the PC on the mains only to re-enter a preamp or amp. Switching power supplies are notorious for putting hash back out on the mains.

Another thing a power cord can do is prevent EMI/RFI from transferring to ICs near the power cord.

And lets not forget the electrical connectors used, the plug and the IEC connector. They alone can make a difference on the delivery of the power.

And one other thing the utility transformer that feeds your home and maybe four other homes is a step down isolation transformer Two separate windings....

Most of the EMI/RFI, and harmonics that affect our audio equipment is created right there in our homes,.... though the power company gets blamed for it. One of the worst devices is that computer you are using....
Post removed