directional cables?

My IC cables are directional, with arrows pointing the way they should be hooked-up. Q: Should they run with the arrows pointing to my cd player, or to my integrated amp? Thanks.
tbromgard
One of the cables I was referring to was Mogami 2549. Two conductors tied to the hot pin and the shield tied to the RCA shell. Would one conductor to the hot, one to the ground, with the shield connected to the ground at one end be a better arrangement?
All cables are "directional" meaning that due to variations in the plug quality, soldering and/crimping etc. they will probably sound different when reversed. Usually this difference in inaudible or minute in scale. As I suggested even ones designed to run in one direction MIGHT sound better reversed. Also, they appear to require some time to readjust themselves when reversed, not being an expert on virtual photon exchange I would not attempt an explanation of this but it has been noted by various writers.
Jea48, you (and they) are talking about the crystalline structure of the conductor metal, and yes, it *can* sometimes have an asymmetrical geometry that lets electrons flow better in one direction than another (the basis of solid state devices by the way.) This is also the reason some cable manufacturers boast of "single crystal" wire which presumably has no impeding geometry.

However, I was referring to the issue of the signal itself having a direction, which it can't, because it's an alternating current, constantly reversing it's polarity.

Herman -- energy is only "transferred" when it does some work. Until then, it's only "potential energy" (as in 'voltage' potential.) It really doesn't matter whether the voltage potential is of constant polarity (direct current) or variable polarity (alternating current), there is no "work" being done in the transmission line itself (other than some heat generated if the conductors are too small for current to flow through them unimpeded.) In direct current, the electrons do indeed flow in one direction, and thus "the load" (where the "work" is done) becomes an impediment to the flow of electrons through the entire system -- and which is why DC can only be transmitted a short distance -- and which is why Edison lost to Westinghouse and AC ;--)) Nevertheless, none of these things affect (or are affected by) the way the metal crystals in the conductor material happen to line up (or not.) As with all things, there are exceptions, the most common being ultra-high frequencies. Normal high frequencies (like in audio) just take the easy way out, and travel on the surface of the conductor(s) if there's enough of it.
Clio, the Mogami 2549 is ideal for making shotgun interconnects, using the two center conductors for the signal (hot and return), and floating the shield at one end.

Stan, the kinds of conditions you mention are "direction neutral" in the presence of an alternating current such as a music signal. They can sometimes alter frequency response due to capacitive effects, similar to the boundry interface between conductors and dielectric materials, but again, the physical orientation of such an interface between two materials would not change its effect (if any) on the frequency curve of the signal.
Ns, I know your mind is made up and you are locked into the one dimensional world of current flow, but the true analysis of the situation can only be done if you think in terms of energy i.e. an electromagnetic wave that travels from point A to point B. Whether it is audio, RF, light, or any other electromagnetic wave they all consist of alternating electric and magnetic fields. At some frequencies they can be easily launched through the air like radio signals and at lower frequencies they are more easily handled with wires since the antennas needed for low frequencies would be huge. If they do follow a conductor then they move the electrons on the wire, but the electron movement is an effect, it is not the cause. Until you give up on current flow as an explanation you will never grasp what is going on.

DC can only be transmitted a short distance
DC can travel just as far as AC at a given voltage. The advantage of AC is that it can easily be stepped up and down with transformers. It is more efficient to transmit high voltages over long distances. The AC or DC would be too dangerous at the higher voltages needed to make it feasible over long distances but the AC can be easily stepped down to a safe voltage level where it is needed and the DC can not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

energy is only "transferred" when it does some work
Not true. An electromagnetic wave is a form of energy. It can be converted to other forms of energy such as mechanical energy which is what happens in a speaker, but can indeed move about without doing any work. Take the case of a high frequency signal injected into a transmission line. It will travel down the line until it meets either an impedance equal to the characteristic impedance of the line in which case it will be absorbed, or if it meets a mismatch some of it will be reflected, or in the case of a total mismatch (short or open) all of it will be reflected back to the source.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't think you have a firm grasp on the underlying concepts.