directional cables?

My IC cables are directional, with arrows pointing the way they should be hooked-up. Q: Should they run with the arrows pointing to my cd player, or to my integrated amp? Thanks.
tbromgard
The arrows should point from the CD player to the amp, the same as the signal flow.
I would reverse them every day, that will keep those lazy electrons on their toes!
Seriously, Bill is correct, that is how the manufacture intended them to be used. But if you happened to like them the other way the polarity police will not be knocking on your door.
The "arrow convention" was started by Bruce Brisson when he developed the "shotgun" interconnect while at Monstercable (he left to start MIT cables.)

Cable manufacturers now put arrows on everything! However the arrows were originally meant only for single ended shotgun type interconnects, and have nothing to do with "signal flow." The arrows always point to the end of the (single ended shotgun) interconnect where the shield and the negative signal conductor are soldered together to the ground 'ring' of the RCA plug. The other end of the shield is not connected to the RCA plug (it 'floats'.)**

I think the business about "signal flow" was concocted so technologically challenged audio salesmen could explain cable installation to their customers ;--)) It's too bad this nonsense got started, when it would have been just as easy to say "All arrows should point to the preamp." This would have insured proper star-grounding, with the preamp at the center of the star, and avoided the resulting (and common) mistake of installing the preamp-to-amp cables backwards.

Arrows on all other kinds of cables -- XLR, speaker, power, and data -- are utterly meaningless from an electrical standpoint, since audio signals (and wall voltage) are alternating current and interact with conductors the same way in either direction.

** If you want to check, and have a single-ended interconnect with removable connector barrels (and arrows ;--) you can slide the barrels back and you will see that only he arrowhead end has the shield soldered to the RCA connector. At the other end, the shield has been trimmed short, and usually covered with a piece of tape or shrinkwrap.
Grounding the shield on the cable at the "source" produces the least noise (hum). That is the reason for the "direction".
Just curious, I have seen some cables constructed that use the shield as the return, so it has to be connected at both ends. Since a conductor is not connected, does this mean there is no need to float the shield? Does it make any difference in this case?