Aether Audio Black Box or Nuforce Magic Cube ???

Has anyone tried these black boxes that you hook-up at the end of your speaker cables yet? A lot of raves on the forums.
hifisoundguy
Worldcat, would you be nice enough to share some details regarding what the Magic Cubes did in your system to improve its overall performance. Thanks in advance.
Imaging #1, micro detail, over all better top and bottom end. I have Nuforce amps. I like my magic cubes with the filters. The web page from Nuforce says most people will like them better without filter. Everyone who has heard my system has left speechless. My system was so good before but after upgrading to the V3, their cables, and magic cube. The system has went up a notch in my opinion to World Class. I have had people listen who have been in the business for 35 years and sold equipment who just say wow. They have heard the Magico M5's with all spectral gear. They say it is every bit as good if not better. Really happy with my sound never new it could get that much better. Try them!!
This technical explanation sounds like a stretch to me. Sure, 1/f(otherwise known as pink noise) exists in your system. No noise in mine is audible from my listening chair. Even if the magic box or the Bybee magic stuff really eliminated it,what audible effect would it have? The Bybee thing is supposed to able to tell a noise electron from a music electron. How? The difference between noise and music is preference. If the device can read my mind I should be able to put one in line with my speakers, play a JayZ album, and no sound should come out of my speakers.
Dear Rcwortman,

I would like to clarify things a bit based on your comment regarding 1/f noise. I realize that for the most part the following is a bit academic and likely of little interest to most readers, but for the occasional individual that is technically minded I will go ahead with the clarification.

Specifically, the Aether Audio Black Box / NuForce Magic Cube does not provide system improvement via a reduction of the latent 1/f noise in the cables and/or the equipment connected to them thereby. Rather, they address the physical "mechanism" inherent within the conductors that also "just so happens" to give rise to 1/f noise as well. If you were to read the following white paper, it will help to explain: http://aetheraudio.com/Sub-Debye%20Phase%20Distortion%20rev1%20.pdf

You see, noise voltages arising within conductors is an important field of study in the fabrication of LSI & VLSI integrated circuits. In some applications, these devices use very small amounts of metal as conductors internally for the transport of signals from one area/transistor array to another. The metal (usually aluminum) is vapor deposited and then etched via a lithography process, which leaves behind extremely small conduction pathways. As a part of an ongoing quest to miniaturize these devices and/or compact an ever-increasing number of circuits within them, all forms of noise along with a multitude of other effects at microscopic levels become of increasing importance. As a result, much research has gone into identifying the various mechanisms involved, and much has been learned in recent years.

The upshot is that the cornerstone of this research has to do with what is termed "thin film" samples of various metals. By applying a very thin film of a given metal to a stable substrate, any effects manifest by said metal are "amplified" due to the much higher bulk resistance such samples exhibit. This then makes any processes involved (noise, charge migration, etc.) much easier to detect and study. As a result, a preponderance of evidence has been observed that indicates there are numerous processes involved and specifically, some of the processes giving rise to 1/f noise (as well as others).

To be sure, if we were actually talking the 1/f noise generated by a conductor… there wouldn't be much to discuss. If metals were significant sources of self-noise energy, why… we could "tap" them and us them as batteries by converting the noise to usable power! Quite to the contrary, the "source impedance" of this noise is extremely high and therefore the noise only manifests as a barely detectable voltage. This being the case, it simply cannot "source" any significant current such that it could ever be audible in the operation of an audio system.

But… when current flows through a conductor from an external source (amplifier) to a load (loudspeaker), another variable has been added that changes the scenario significantly. Specifically, it is our opinion that phonon vibrational energy, ever present in the form of ambient heat within the conductor, is the culprit.

As an example, it has been scientifically shown that impurities and crystalline defects (stresses) within a given sample of metal are a primary source of 1/f noise. At the microscopic level, such impurities and defects also behave as phonons (quasi-independent "virtual" particles)… along with the underlying crystalline lattice and just about any other physical feature at those dimensional levels. It has been shown that when impurities and stress defects are reduced, so too is the 1/f noise in direct relationship. Anecdotal observations also tell us this in the audio world, as "high 9s" purity of conductors is greatly sought after for use in various cable formulations.

In closing, it is not the 1/f noise "per se" that our devices are directly addressing, but rather an underlying "electrical current modulation" mechanism that is present (and apparently audible), which also happens to be the source of 1/f noise as well.

I hope this helps and doesn't come off sounding like pseudo-science or snake-oil. If you do the research to find the many existing scientific papers concerning the subject as I have, you'll eventually see what I mean.

Take care,
-Bob
Just recieved a demo pair of the Nuforce Magic Cubes.
It took a few days for the units to open up.
But when they did, I hear a deeper soundstage, with a very nice center image and better frequencey extremes.
But, I did not have the Filter plugged into it.
What does the SS Filter do?
There are no markings as to which way to install, left or right, does that matter?

Thes units may be a keeper.