Power Strip Question - PLEASE HELP

I need to power my audio system and various electronics from a single duplex outlet. Although this is less than ideal, I need some advice on how to avoid degrading sound quality.

Essentially, I want to buy 2 power strips for the duplex outlet. The first will be used exclusively for my audio system, while the second will be used exclusively for other electronics. Here is the breakdown:

1) Wiremold L10320 Power Strip (9 outlets, 6 foot cord):
- Naim Nait 5i-2 integrated amplifier
- Naim Nait 5i-2 cd player
- Pro-Ject Tube Box II phono pre-amplifier
- Pro-Ject Debut II TT (weak link, I know)

2) XYZ Power Strip:
- Alarm clock
- Phone charger
- External HD
- Laptop computer

My main concern is with the second power strip. I'm worried that these common electronics, being powered on the same line, might degrade the sound quality of my audio system.

Is there any way to limit the interference of these electronics, thus preserving sound quality? For instance, would a power strip with a surge protector limit the interference that these electronics may produce?

If possible, I would like some recommendations for power strips from Allied Electronics, since I will be buying the Wiremold from them (http://www.alliedelec.com/).

I don't have any strict requirements, but I would prefer an inexpensive unit (<$10, if possible) with a short cord.

Thank you so much for the help!
jferreir
While I'm hardly an expert on this topic, it seems to me you are looking for options to deal with a less than ideal situation. Compromises might well be needed. I attempted to provide a multi-outlet solution for consideration. The H-10 is inexpensive. See how things sound powered up in various ways. I'd recommend plugging your amp directly into one of the wall receptacles Run the H-10 off the 2nd receptacle. Plug your other audio components into the H-10, directly. Run a power strip out of the H-10 for your low current- draw, non-audio components.

Other solutions are possible - like hiring an electrician to run new power cable from your fuse box to newly installed receptacles.
Indeed, but certain compromises are better than others. Why do you suggest running a second power strip from the first?

The Wiremold is strictly a power distributor, so there is no circuit breaker, filter, or anything of that sort. As a result, the component plugged into the first receptacle will receive the cleanest power. Would this achieve the same result that you're alluding to?

Again, I will state my two remaining questions:

1) If the non-audio electronics are plugged into a separate power strip, but are not operational (i.e. off), will they still cause interference and degrade the sound quality of my system?

2) If I use an extension cord running from a different duplex outlet to power my non-audio electronics, will this resolve the issue?

If I'm not at liberty to reorganize furniture, then hiring an electrician to rewire the room is definitely not an option. Remember, I'm trying to make due with what I have. Thanks again.
You need a power conditioner with multiple duplexes that isolates the digital duplexes from the analog ones and does not alter the sound much. Like this:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?powrcond&1264289340&/Chang-Lightspeed-cls-6400-iso-

I have a Chang Lightspeed conditioner similar to this one on my HT equipment and it does not limit current, does a great job with isolation, and has no detrimental effect on sonics.

I had and sold a $3500 Furman IT-Reference 20i power conditioner on my HT (the Chang did a better job for me on music) and currently use a $5k Synergistic Research Powercell 10SE in my two channel system, so I am no rookie with power conditioners. The Chang will do the job for you and it will not hurt your sound.

I really doubt you will find a better solution any where near your budget.
J,Sgr stated in his post to run the non-audio stuff off an extention cord from another circuit.I agree with him in your situation.This is an easy way to seperate the non-audio stuff.Just make sure it's a different circuit and not just another receptacle on the same circuit.You also need to see what else is on the circuit you intend to use for the audio equipment.Stuff like fluorescent lamps put lots of noise on the lines.As far as power conditioners degrading the sound,you'll just have to try one and decide for yourself.You will get lots of conflicting opinions.Some folks love them,some can't stand them.
Jferreir, don't sweat it too much. Try a couple of power strips and see if you get too much noise, or not.

I'm in a similar situation and use a Brickwall surge protector that feeds two power strips. One power strip is a BPT, and is used for my audio gear. The other strip is used for my plasma TV, cablebox, and blu-ray player.

I don't have any issues with noise. However my PCs and ICs are fairly well shielded, and I have been careful orienting my cords and cables. I will admit I had some noise issues with the plasma TV, but careful cable orientation eliminated that problem.

I tried a power conditioner but did not care for how it degraded the sound.

I don't think the little devices you are hooking up on the other strip will be excessively noisy.

My suggestion is try some decent quality, inexpensive strips first, and see what happens. You can always use them somewhere else in the house.

However, I do suggest you consider having some surge protection.