Interconnect Inductance vs. Capacitance

How do the inductance and capacitance of ICs impact the sound? I have seen some ICs that have low inductance but high capacitance. On the other hand, some ICs have high inductance but low capacitance. One manufacturer even claims that his higher models have higher capacitance.

So can someone explain to me how they impact the sound?
vett93
The interactions between human and machine are always fascinating to me. A lot of them are beyond textbooks. Shadorne's example of dynamic and lively sound is a good one. I am not sure what electric characteristics can be used to describe it.

I also think that a system is only as good as its weakest point. In my example, if I get a pair of ICs that have higher capacitance, it can never sound good in my system. This is, of course, assuming that I still have good hearing.... lol...

A fellow Dude preamp owner likes the top line model from Audio Horizons the best. AH's website states the higher end models have higher capacitance. This seems odd to me. He is testing Blue Jeans Cables' ICs now. It will be interesting to see what he thinks....
Vett93 -- It's been too long since I studied Thevenin's Theorem. It looks like I was right, and bandwidth will be greater when the attenuator is set for 12db attenuation, compared to when it is set for 6db attenuation.

The Thevenin equivalent circuit for the preamp output with the attenuator set for 6db, at the mid-point of its resistance range (what I've referred to as "50K/50K"), is a voltage source equal to one-half of the voltage being applied to the attenuator, in series with 25K.

The Thevenin equivalent circuit for the preamp output with the attenuator set for 12 db attenuation (what I've referred to as "75K/25K"), is a voltage source equal to one-quarter of the voltage being applied to the attenuator, in series with 18.75K.

Therefore the higher attenuation setting will result in a lower source impedance, resulting in a smaller RC time constant and a wider bandwidth.

-- Al
Shadorne's example of dynamic and lively sound is a good one. I am not sure what electric characteristics can be used to describe it.

I am not sure either but I suspect it has to do with the current drive capabilities of the output stage of the line level component. I have observed it many times and it is quite audible on long runs of say 30 feet or more. If the current is insufficient to drive the higher capacitance of long interconnects then the slew rate of the signal will be less (at least that would be my guess)
You were right, Al, as Thevenin was on your side. :-)

It is the parallel of the two resistors that determines the output impedance. Good memory!!

Cheers!
Vett93

My higher capacitance Audio Horizons IC's sound better from my Dude pre to Samson amps then the much lower capacitance Blue Jeans IC.

No rolling off of the highs at all with the AH IC's. They are simply more full bodied and refined sounding while retaining all the highs and air in my system.

The Blue Jeans cable only cost $39 and they were still very good indeed. Anyone looking for a great cable for very little money - the Blue Jean is a great choice.

Seems my TRL Dude and Samsons like the AH cables better - at least to my ears. Again, the highs were not rolled off at all.

Bill