DIY speaker wire: does insulation matter?

I'm planning to make solid core copper speaker wires and have a couple of options as to the insulation to use, and would like your input: cotton, mylar, Nomex, or mica-based.

Does the insulation material matter?
How thick should the insulation be?
BTW, what kind of voltage are speaker wires subject to?

Looking into Anti-cables, they use VERY thin PVC, I believe.

FWIW, speakers are B&W 804S, amp is McIntosh MC275, wire length will be 8 feet, wire diameter 0.098 inch (gauge 10, I believe), and I'm planning to biwire the speakers.

Thank you!
lewinskih01
From what you have written it seems that you are planning to use a un-insulated wire that you have and insulate it.

Not a good idea. First there is already a layer of oxidation on the copper if it is un-insulated, second whatever you put on most likely will not be air tight, third it is not the safest idea.

Get 14awg teflon insulated OCC wire, try 8-10 twist per foot, solder on some spades with some silver bearing solder...

BTW mylar DC is between 2.8-3.7 for cable passing a signal you shooting for low DC...
I'm with Al it should not matter enough to worry about. As some have mentioned wire geometry can have a small effect - especially placing wires far far apart (best place them close together). Twisting wires is most important for small signals into high impedances or for signals lines passing through very noisy RM/RF environments - I should not think it matters for speaker cables.

However, solid core versus stranded is probably not enough to worry about either (other than teh stiffness may cause connection integrity problems at each end). So I guess this makes a full circle - it must all be critical!! ;-)
Cpk,

I was thinking of getting wire from some guys who wire electric motors (electrolitic copper), and they offer to insulate it for me. I believe the wire is not completely bare but rather has a very thin enamel-type insulation. Would this be a good idea?

Am I looking for a lower or a higher DC? Mylar is 2.8 to 3.7...is that good??

Thanks again,
That's magnet wire, it should be enameled, just use it as is, you are good to go. As for dc < 2 is good.

Good luck, have fun, & happy listening!