Is Audiogon worth it?

I was just about to use AUDIOGON for the first time to sell my Hales System 2 Signatures when I read a few of the dispute posts. Now I'm not so sure. Who wants all those hassles? Maybe its better to do the sale locally, face to face, lose a few bucks maybe, but no hassles.
alvalucy
Hi, just to share my 2 cents worth about this site.....Disputes happens everywhere not only on this site. As far as I am concerned, this is one of the best audio sites available on the net. Regulars here will tell you the same.

Communication is very important even if it means calling the person and speaking directly to him/her.

As a seller, please clearly state the condition of your merchandise as clearly as possible. This will avoid disputes.

If you do not want hassles about shipping, selling locally is the best way.

Cheers,

John
I have had twenty five transactions and have never once had a problem. The buyers and sellers on Audiogon are in my experience helpful, courteous, and professional. I would not deal anywhere else. Good luck!
I've had one person who sold me bad goods (NAK tape deck) on A'gon and that was 2 years ago. He's gone as far as I know and I haven't followed up - maybe I should. There are also good people on eBAY but many more shysters there. My biggest gripe is the lowballers but what are you going to do - they are everywhere. I ignore them because most of them never send the check anyway or want me to send stuff their way which doesn't work for me.
Such naivity amongst even the most die-hard 'Gon'ers. As with anything, you do need to be careful when buying AND selling on this site. Everyone keeps mentioning that there are only "18" disputes. That's not exactly true. There are 18 PUBLIC disputes, but there are countless others where AudiogoN had adequate information to make a recommendation w/o posting the dispute in the forums.

I've been burned a number of times. Conversely, I've also met some tremendous people who share the same passion for music.

I've had the best luck with posting ads for a "local sale". This way, you get the best of both worlds. The great reach and resources of the AudiogoN and the extra peace of mind that you're dealing with somebody locally. It goes a long way in reducing the risk of mis-matched expectations, shipping damage...or worse.

Finally, I would agree that shipping large, heavy or ackward items such as speakers and tts is RISKY business. Local sale is the ONLY way to go with such items.

My .02
You can call it naivity, its obvious to me that each of us has had somewhat differant experiances in our transactions on and off the web which tend to influence where and how we feel comfortable dealing with people. Selling locally is great for those heavy large items which are hard to ship, does that mean its problem free? You might just have made a new "friend" who feels they can drop by anytime they have a problem or question about the piece you sold them! so much for that "peace of mind". And everyone knows it's impossible to have a problem if you buy from a reputable dealer! (yeah right). Bottom line is you have to be careful anyway you buy or sell. That said I find the majority of people on Audiogon are honest, love music, and are great to deal with. my .02 TG