Another Cable Burn-in Question

I've checked the archives and I'm still not certain about this. I want to burn-in a new ic cable between CD player and preamp. I set the CD player to repeat/play but does the preamp need to be turned on? I'd rather not leave my tubed pre on during burn-in if I don't have to.
jc4659
JC,

Send them to me and I will cook them for you on my Audioharma.

Destin, FL.
Glory- I'd almost be inclined to hand deliver them just to hear your system! I'll give it until next week and then I might take you up on that generous offer. Thanks.
In my experience, the high frequencies took the longest to settle in during cable burn in and 100 hours is actually not a very long break in period. I have a Speltz Anticable from my tuner to my preamp and Jim Speltz recommends a break in time of 500 hours. I find this very funny since there is a 30 day return policy if not satisfied!! Anyway, based on your post, I think your setup will sound great when the Signal Cable is broken in completely. In my CD setup, I switched from Nordost SPM to a Cardas Golden Reference interconnect. I just felt that the SPM which is a silver cable was a bit strident at the top end. However, it was great when used between other components. Enjoy the transformation!!
personally I'd say if the signal doesn't flow from the source and back to it, you are wasting your time spinning CDs without the peramp being on.

Cables don't know what source is what... use the cable box... or in another rig somewhere.

I've never understood why folks spin their expensive CDPs to burn in cables. A signal is a signal. Use the one which costs less to run... sat box, cable box, tuner... or in a secondary rig.

I've seem more break in time alloted to power cords than to ICs. I've never had ICs which took more than a couple weeks to run in either. 250hrs tops. Most are right on between 100 - 200.
Yes, except I have no other components besides another decent CD player that has balanced outs other wise I'd obviously use a less expensive source. But you reply confirms that there is no consensus of opinion as to whether the pre needs to be powered up (see my original post).