Different lengths of interconnects ??????

Have you ever tried using a pair of interconnects in different lengths to connect preamp and mono block amps? Can it cause one channel delay or any phase problems?

My Preamp is placed on left side behind my active ATC speakers, but I always use a pair of interconnects in same length between my preamp and the built-in power amp of my speakers.

Now I have a chance to buy pair of Valhalla XLR interconnects in different lengths, one 1.7m and another 3.5m, from another city. They are just about the right length from my preamp to left and right channel of my speakers, and price is good. I am not sure if it is OK to use interconnects in this way. Anyone have this experience?

Many thanks!
zdeng
It is very interesting that most member in Audioasylum believe the cables must in equal length for both channel, but I do not know if they can tell the differences when the cables are in unequal length.

Not surprised at that. It is a good rule of thumb especially if one side is very much longer. I would not use unequal lengths but then again I would not spend so much on cables so it does not matter to me as the cost to get equal lengths is a negligible issue.

My suggestion would be to buy some less expensive highly respected Mogami XLR from a music shop or something with Canare wire or whatever floats you boat. Spend only $100 bucks or less and get equal lengths.

The draw back is that that these XLR cables are not called "Valhalla" and few audiophiles will go "ooo", "ahh" and "wow" when they peruse your virtual system one day to ask you about cable synergy. You might even get the opposite...questions like how in your right mind can you connect those great speakers with ordinary wires...no gold no silver ? If these comments make you feel insecure then by all means spend the extra money (like the ladies who only wear Prada) but then as the man from ING says in the adds you could also be smart and "Save your Money".
I ended up with two different lengths of interconnects. Absolutely no difference at all.
Something does not make sense. If extra length of cable does not make a difference then why Valhalla - very expensive IC.

You probably believe that cable makes difference and it is proportional to distance and your question is "how much of a difference". I would still not use uneven cables because small errors like that will acummulate and will become audible. In addition you might get more revealing gear in future - why to risk.

It is more complicated than capacitance or speed of signal - there is also inductance, ratio of inductance to capacitance, dielectric constant etc.

In addition - what if you decide to change cables - who is going to buy it from you? (most of people believe in the same lengths).
It will work perfectly if you place the speaker using the shorter IC 18" further out and toe it in three degrees more. ;) Seriously, buy equal length IC's; if you ever rearrange your gear and are short on one IC, you'll kick yourself. Think long term, which for gearheads is six months.

There does not need to be an actual audible difference to be bothersome. If you're asking about it, it's quite possible that it will play on your mind. If you weren't worried, you would likely have purchased them already. As it is, you may obsess over perceived differences. If so, then it's not that much of a bargain when you're ruminating over it all the time. Only you know if it would bother you or not.

FYI, in my office, one run of speaker cable is approx. 6-7' longer than the other. I am absolutely unable to perceive any effects from it. But, I found I had to put the balance control at 9 O'clock. hahahahaha
Kurk_tank, you are confusing the movement of electrons in the wire with the signal (electromagnetic field) traveling down the wire. They are not the same thing. It is the signal that we are concerned about. The movement of electrons is a side effect caused by the field that is following the wire.

Electromagnetic waves travel fastest in a vacuum, slower in any other medium. Since light is an electromagenetic wave this speed is usually called the speed of light. In a wire it depends on how the wire is constructed and is expressed as the velocity facor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_of_propagation