Retail pricing in classified ads

I have noticed that a lot of people that place classifieds ad are misleading with the actual retail price of the item up for sale. I am always careful to use the correct MSRP when placing a classified. It's a little frustrating to me to see others use false pricing information. Especially on products that I own or have owned and know first hand what the price actually is. My only advice to sellers not knowing the retail price is to leave that selection blank as some people do. Does anyone else have any opinions on this subject?
s7horton
Retail prices do change. I bought a Sony DVD Player when it first came out at $1600 a little over a year ago and now the retail is $1200. Sometimes it truly depends on when you bought it and what you paid at that time. I'm not saying this is the case in every circumstance but perhaps some.
I know that the MSRP can change, that is definitely true. Just yesterday I read an ad for a pair of speakers I used to own. These speakers are almost 100 percent of the time listed with incorrect retail pricing. This ad said the speakers retailed for close to 800 dollars. That is completely wrong. Also, not two minutes ago I read an ad for an amplifier I own and the seller stated it is a stereophile class B component. Stereophile has never reviewed this amplifier. It just seems to me the ads are getting more untruthful as time goes on.
I would not be so concerned about the M.S.R.P. as the price the seller is charging for the item being sold. Everything being sold at retail has a high mark up. So even if the seller has the wrong retail price, forget it .If you want the item and can reach a acceptable price than everyone is happy.
Do I take the prices at face value in an ad? No way! If I am in the market to buy something, I do my homework and KNOW what the costs are. At the end of the day, I am the only one responsible for me....no one else - if I don't take responsibility, I don't (won't) depend on anyone to do it for me.
what's the saying? fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. (corny, but true)

-aj
Buyer Beware. Its up to you to research and avoid those misleading sellers. Also, sometimes the mags get it wrong and that can be a hassle. The last amp I sold is quoted in the last issue TAS as $1200 but it actually lists for $1500. It pays to check and double check. Most of the time it takes only a couple clicks on the mouse.