How does one "Get lost in the music"?

I seem to have lost the ability over the years. Is there a routine you guys follow to get yourself into that state?

My mind is constantly drifting/thinking when i am listening. My equipment is very musical and hiend in nature so i cant blame my equipment for my inability to get emotionally attached.

I dont expect to get into this state everytime i listen, but would like it to happen at least weekly.

Any advice is much appreciated
leicachamp
I use the Klipsch s4 buds with my Squeezebox radio in the
bedroom. Buds are an acquired taste, and fit and comfort
can be tricky, but these sound pretty darn good when
properly fitted. Also very good at the pool with Pandora
and internet radio on ipod touch.

Won't be replacing my home hifi stuff anytime soon though.

I also have smaller Stax electret phones on my family room
system for years. These are very nice sounding and easy on
the ear.
Ack! sorry... I didn't express myself clearly, Tostadosunidos –– I was referring to when it was that I actually experienced stereo for the first time. I was all of 10 years old. I don't think I saw a cassette or 8-track tape for a few years after that. The cutting edge of technology missed my neighborhood completely.
if its the music that is primary, it doesn't matter what the sources is--boom box, radio, stereo, sing to yourself.

if you like music there should no problem enjoying it. provided you don't have "non compos mentis" syndrome.

any sane person can enjoy music, regardless of sound quality.
Mr.Tennis, Before we all start questioning our sanity, I think this thread is not about merely enjoying music –– but what it actually takes to "lose ourselves" in the experience at this point in our lives.
I can only get lost in my good hifi gear these days. Standards are too high. I can listen to a lot of other lesser stuff down to ipods and table radios, but only get lost in the best.

WHen I was a kid, I got lost in teh best I had then, which was a transistor radio, portable 8-track, compact phono, portable cassette, Sanyo all in 1 integrated whatever.

It gets harder once standards go up, no doubt.

Ignorance can be bliss!!!!!!!