Anyone familiar with Straightwire Black Silc

I recently bought a pair of Straightwire Black Silc cables that were much longer than I needed. My intention ws to remove the poor condition banana plugs, cut the cable to length and reterminate with spades. I've done this before with good results as crimpimg and soldering is something I'm very familiar with. However, these cables use stranded wire that is coated with a substance that isolates each strand. I scraped the cable with a pocet knofe which allowed a continuity check but that didn't remove all of the coating. Also tried heat but this had no noticeable effect. My question is, how can I remove this coating without harming the cable? Anyone done this before.
I will say the cable looks to be very well made.
timrhu
Well after emailing Straightwire and doing a little research it looks like buying a solder pot is the way to go. As a decent new one goes for $300+, I'll keep my eyes open on ebay and see what they go for there. Straightwire wants $26.50 per spade, that's more than $300 for the pair of cables. I know I can do it for less and just as well.
Tim, I was suggesting you have Straightwire do the reterminating primarily for maintaining the resale value.

Wow! I didn't realize the pots were THAT expensive now. And don't forget to factor in the cost of enough silver solder to fill it up (check with Welborne to see if they have in fluxless and in bulk.)

On the other hand, there are a number of folks here in audioland that do reterminating for a lot less than Straightwire quoted you. Don't give up. Got to Google and search retermination AND audio AND cables.

Moon Audio is a good one:

http://www.moon-audio.com/Retermination.htm
I just shot off an email to moonaudio. I've seen his ads, he has good feedback every place I checked. Thanks for the tip. These cables are too nice to give up on.
I got the price of the solder pot from my Newark catalogue. The $300 unit was the least expensive one they sold. The range was $300 to $1500. If a soldr pot can be had for a reasonable price it might be worth it as DIY is part of the fun.
I have a cast iron electric solder pot that someone gave me (complete with solder ;--) It looks like it's from the 1940's or earlier. But it works just fine!
I bid on a pot that went for 1$ over my bid of 55. It was a model listed in current Newark catalogue for 1k. Hard to believe but true. If I was at a computer I wouldn't have let go that cheap. Try again.