isolation transformer vs line conditioner

I have a single pseudodedicated line ( line form fuse box at home only supply stereo equip. & lights of that room.)
I am considering a line conditioner like BPT3.5 or shunyata hydra at the outlet vs an isolation transformer interpose betw. the fuse box and the outlet in that room.
Which would provide most bang for bucks?
Where can i buy isolation transformer cheap? 5kv topaz is more than a grand.
WHich LC is better? shunyata or bpt?
128x128glai
Sean, Thanks, and sorry, I found the 'archived' posts where you recommend the Xentek and Topaz, after the fact :). I know you were going to post something to the effect of how to make the 'best' out of dedicated lines using Romex....which is what I used...now that you have time in other areas...:)...what are your thoughts on this one? Or, did you post it somewhere else already? Scott
Sean, torrids are much more expensive than "off the shelf" EI transformers. That and just about everything else you have said in this thread is wrong. If you or anybody else would like to know the truth about transformers used in audio amplifier power supplies it is spelled out very nicely at bryston.ca news letters volume 8 #4 and #5. It is nonsense to think that a manufacturer would save money with a cheaper transformer, then turn around and put 2 into every amp where 1 will do! I know that Bryston amps have really grown in popularity and there is no doubt that the amps have improved in sound quality, at the same time they switched from EI to torrids. Strange thing to happen if EI transformers made better audio amplifier transformers, but they don't, torrids do. I should warn audiogoners that the newsletters contain some pretty contrasting information on a few subjects I have read about in these forums. I know this thread is about 115volt utility supplied mains, so for that subject your brutal reality can also be found within the newsletters. merry christmas (dec.24)
You might want to check out the Audio Magnum line conditoiner from www.musicaldesign.com just click on accessories when you go on their web site
Wow, never saw this response from 7b4me and it's a year later.

I didn't read the material that you mentioned on Bryston's website, so forgive me for my ignorance as to their point of view. As far as my comments being wrong, i think that you'll find that most EE's that are both honest and well educated will agree with my comments. Aball's response above the multitude of comments that John Curl has made on the subject are prime examples.

Toriodal transformers only have one real electrical advantage over EI's when used as a power transformer. That is, toroids reduce stray electromagnetic radiation as compared to EI's. They can be placed closer to circuitry with less potential for interference. By placing end caps or "bells" on the EI's, radiation can be reduced to near that of a toroid by itself, but once again, this raises cost and weight. To be fair, applying the same amount of metal to a toroid as a shield lowers the stray radiation to the point that an EI could never come close.

Outside of power transformers, toroids are far superior to EI's for use as impedance matching transformers. This has to do with their capacity to cover a larger cross-section of frequencies i.e. wider bandwidth. For audio signals, this is a highly desirable trait. For a power transformer, it is exactly what we don't want.

In this respect, it all boils down using the right tools / circuitry. Whether or not one wants to get the job done or to design / build something that performs optimally are two different things. Sean
>
LOL,

Wow Sean, you got called out here! If only 7b4me knew who he was trying to show up with one manufacturers sales propaganda. Mighty funny. I'm glad you caught this Sean, and I'm happy the thread is back, I forgot about this one.

Have a great Holiday Sean,

jd