Power Cord Burn-In

I know, I know...this has been posted before but I swear I searched the archives and couldn't find what I was looking for so here's my question:
Just purchased a new pc for my cdp.
Can I burn this cord in without turning up the volume( family factor) and can I leave my preamp and amp off during this process. In other words, can I simply throw a disc in my cdp and press play/repeat and let the music play with no volume?
Thanks!
greh
I'm not an EE, so I have no clue what happens during "break in", but my common sense tells me that, as Dr. Greenman notes, it doesn't have anything to do with a restructuring of the conductive metal. To me, it seems more reasonable to suppose that the dielectric undergoes some small changes. All I really know is the evidence of my own fallible senses, and they tell me that I often notice a change following a cable break in period.
Okay, Dr. what is your theory on this cable break in falicy?
I have never heard any cable break in. I do hear differences among various cables. But I have never heard changes during the so called break in period.
Scottht,

I'm with you - there are differences between cables because
they are physically different.

A cable is a transmission line - and the dimensions and
geometry of the conductor and the dielectric, and other
physical factors determine the electrical properties of the
cable.

As for "burn-in" - it doesn't physically alter the cable -
hence can't physically alter the electrical transmission
properties of the cable.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist
Morbius, I'm well aware of what FCC and BCC structures are as are others here, but you might want to look up Dr. Rolf Hummel's book wherein he exhaustively explains in technical terms how and why the break-in phenomenon occurs, covering high and low temperature annealing among other topics. From those who have the book, it is a definitive reference. Few have the equipment and know-how to measure it, but it can be done. I believe Dr. Hummel is at Univ. of Florida.

Brian Walsh
engineer, audiophile and dealer
Brain Walsh,

I can only say that I'm not particulary impressed with that work.
I wouldn't call it "definitive". [ It's an undergraduate textbook, after all.]

He lacks the mathematical rigor - and hence the insight -
that one gets from actually solving the equations of
quantum mechanics that describe electron transport
except in the most simple cases.

It's a good "engineering" text - that's my opinion.

The computational physics of neutron, photon, and electron transport
in complex geometries happens to be my particular forte'.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist