Stereophile looses Jonathan Scull

General Asylum
FYI, Stereophile looses Jonathan Scull

Posted by Gordon Rankin (M) on March 29, 2002 at 12:39:56
FYI,
Heard about this yesterday and conformation today from J10 that Primedia (Stereophile's parent company) wanted to slim down it's staff in all magazines let J10 go yesterday.
I have know Jonathan for sometime now and his certain wit will leave Stereophile a little colder than it was before.
Thanks J10 for the bandwith!
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin
albundy15000696a
Don't know the gent personally but have read some of his articles in the past. He's the dude with the weird listening chair and the French wife if memory serves. In any event, the day of the magazines creating hype and such are gone...if you want to learn from others with truly informed opinions just hang around here for a while. No agendas, just the facts as he/she sees 'em. The future of the hobby is (as Van Halen so aptly put it) "Right Here, Right Now"
I subscribed to Stereopiles for many years, and then began buying occasional copies on the newstand when there was an article that interested me. Count me in the group that thinks it is time to "blow taps" over this once-proud audio mag. With its founder, J. Gordon Holt, now writing for TAS, most of the crew that is left can't overcome the magazine's rapid slide toward mediocrity and mass-market values. I'd love to see Ultimate Audio resurrected.

Anyway, best wishes to Jonathan Scull. I hardly regarded him as an audio heavyweight, but as someone who has been "laid off" some 6 times in the past 20 years, I commiserate with him.

Truth is, fellow 'philes, our hobby is in dire straits and is losing ground to the home theater juggernaut -- despite the fact that there is better equipment, at lower relative cost, than 10 years ago.
I agree, the magazine is going down hill fast, This should be a wake-up call; Stereohile has been a mainstay for years; I for one am going to get off my butt and e-mail Stereophile, if J-10, so goes my subscription.
Hell, before you know it they'll tell Michael Fremmer analog is dead, and he needs to look elsewhere. YIKES!!
Stereopile is a shell of its former self, so who really cares anyway? 3 reviews a month, and AV equipment figured prominently? The mag is doomed. I looked through a couple old issues last week for some gear I was interested in, a mere 4 year old issue (1997), and there were nearly a DOZEN full-length, in-depth reviews, all of equipment audionuts would be interested in, a mix of amps, preamps, speakers, cables, tables, CDPs, etc...

Now? It is over for the 'pile.

As for the (paid) reviewers, I certainly will shed no tears over not reading Scull anymore, the guy has a tin ear and is impressed by anything with $$$ for the cost, no matter the sound quality, performance, or lineage. We call someone like that an audio jewelry buff, and not an audiophile.

Fi, you do know many of the staff ended up at TAS, yes? I also liked that mag. Now I only subscribe to BFS, Listener, and TAS, and frankly, even TAS is now getting stale.

Oh well.....