Cable Costs Relative to System

Since making a spread sheet with my audio system prices, I have been thinking(shocked) about my total investment in cables. My total system retails at $67,000 (Digital and analog front ends included). I purchased all of it here on Audiogon so my investment is about 50%. Of that I have about 10% invested in interconnects and cables and another 10% in Power Cables (Shunyata Hydra included). That's $13,000 worth of wire. I'm starting to question whether it might be more effective to put some of this budget into acitve components. It would take forever to listen to all possible combinations, but would like to hear others experiences with relatively high end systems and cable selection. It would seem to me that the point of diminishing returns would be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super bargain cables capable of keeping up with highly resolving electronics?
metaphysics
I have gone throught trying alot of cabling in my systems throught the years. All the models from Cardas, Kimber, Acoustic zen, Harmonic Tech, Analysis Plus. For me I have found that cabling sourced from recording industry is very good indeed. Mogami Quad 2534 and Vann damme Ultra Pure Silver Plated cable for interconnect works great and for me holds it own against cables I have owned that retail for up to $1500.00 for 1 meter pair. its really inexpensive and allows money to go to better equipment. Vann Damme studio grade speaker wire, the 9 gauge stuff you can get from Bryston sounds as good or better than any fancy expensive cables I have used. on the hifi side of things the best bang for buck for inteconnects is DHlabs Silversonic Air matrix. I will now never spend anymore cash on cables. My thinking is that if you want to hear what the recording engineers wanted you to you should use the cables they used making the music, anything different is colouration.
"My thinking is that if you want to hear what the recording engineers wanted you to you should use the cables they used making the music, anything different is coloration"

Jamo1,

So, if cables used for recording are coloring shall I use the same cable to color 2x or shall I use the most transparent/neutral cables?

IMHO studio equipment has no bearing on my home system otherwise I might start using distorting VOX guitar amps for playback.

What they produced is a starting point for me. Judging system's transparency/neutrality is whole another subject but I would use studio cables, or any cables, only if they sound better to me in my system. My AZ Satori has some roundness/fullness that compensates lean lower midrange of my class D amp.
Hi Kijanki,
My point was that the cables used in a studio should be the most neutral to the playback of the music that was being produced and that using something other than that used in the recording studio in your home equipment can add colouration or change the end result. At one point A&M Studios was entirely wired with the Mogami quad wire that I have mentioned. The producers like Daniel Lanois etc. heard everything throught that wire, voices, guitars,drums everything when they recorded and engineered the music. Thats why I gave it a try. I get what you are saying about matching and compensating for equipment room acoustics etc. For me this stuff has worked fine with everything I have tried it on and I a-b compared it with my expensive wire before selling it. In my case it has worked out great because the money I got from selling my higher end cables went toward better equipment. For example, my Moon lp 5.3 @ $900.00 used with a $30.00 Vann damme silver coated XLR sounds way better than a Project Phonobox SE II @$300.00 with a $600.00 used interconnect of whatever Cardas golden ref, AZ silver ref etc. Anyhow I made the suggestion and if people give it a try I think some will agree and benefit.
Jamo1,

I've heard a lot good things about Mogami cables and absolutely agree about trying what professionals use. I'm just not sure that they use the most neutral cables since they might find similar synergy between microphones, electronics and cables. Also studio cost constrains might prohibit them from using long runs of very expensive cables. Their choices are likely to be very smart (good compromise) while many cables were not even taken into consideration since wiring whole studio with cables like Stealth Indra or AZ Absolute (that I use in 0.5m XLR) would be extremely expensive.

I also suspect that some studios might not even care since I have many CDs recorded very, very poorly.
how does one answer this question when it is impossible to ascertain the contribution of cables to the overall sound emanating from a pair of speakers.

there are so many variables, including the room and ac, that questions such as this are at best, highly conjectural.

it ii is possible that some cable may have a profound affect upon the sound of a stereo system to the same extent as a pair of speakers.