Cable Costs Relative to System

Since making a spread sheet with my audio system prices, I have been thinking(shocked) about my total investment in cables. My total system retails at $67,000 (Digital and analog front ends included). I purchased all of it here on Audiogon so my investment is about 50%. Of that I have about 10% invested in interconnects and cables and another 10% in Power Cables (Shunyata Hydra included). That's $13,000 worth of wire. I'm starting to question whether it might be more effective to put some of this budget into acitve components. It would take forever to listen to all possible combinations, but would like to hear others experiences with relatively high end systems and cable selection. It would seem to me that the point of diminishing returns would be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super bargain cables capable of keeping up with highly resolving electronics?
metaphysics
Muralman: There is NO way for anyone to know exactly what is on the disc or what it the "most correct" interpretation of what one can hear. That is, unless they were involved in the recording / mastering process of each and every recording that they listen to. That is why "personal preference" is mentioned around here so much.

Besides, it is quite possible that what one thinks sounds "transparent" could actually be shown to be "less accurate" if one took the time to actually take measurements within the system itself and compare various cables and how the system responds to them electrically. While most folks would never think about doing such things, it can be pretty interesting to say the least. The results are not always what one might be led to think they would be.

As far as your comment regarding what an "expert" has to say, the person that i referrenced is not in the "cable game" and is "anti-fancy cabling". Your comment also goes to show that you will believe and act upon your beliefs regardless of what is presented to you. That implies that you have your "personal preferences" and that is all that you are concerned with. That's fine, so long as you don't try to empirically state that your personal preferences are the only point of reference for accuracy or how things should be done when building a system.

If you think that i present information in that manner, think again. I'm simply throwing out my comments based on past experience and the knowledge that i've acquired over the years. If someone else would like to compare contrasting notes, i'm all for it. On top of that, i've always encouraged people to buy what they like, regardless of what someone else has to say. There are plenty of products out there that i don't like, but if it works for you in your system, who am i to tell you that you shouldn't be happy with what you have ? I might not like it and might have had bad experiences with it, but then again, i don't have to listen to it either : ) Sean
>
Sean, my comments were not directed at you. Sorry, if I bruised toes.

You are right, I do feel strongly cable cost effectiveness ratios are way out of line. I did mention, though, specialty cables may indeed calm grunge.

I don't try to cypher the production of every disc. I just judge them against what I have heard live.

The reason I throw water on cable sermons from time to time, is that there are newbies that frequent this forum.

Going solely on gee whiz testimony they read here, they are all too ready to shell out rolls of green for pretty cables, when they should be rolling out that Onkyo cdp.
Hi,,, wow its amazing cause i'm just about exactly at the same price point for the system cost and cable cost as you are. I was quickly adding it all up and stopped at 60k system cost and over 10k on cable cost. Actual cost are about exactly as yours give or take a mere bag of shells. I did the cable thang myself and ended up using Kimbers Select line of cables cause although it was much more expensive than most other common cables it became very obvious to me that my system REQUIRED cable like the top model Kimber Select. I found that I did get what I paid for and the cable turned out to be an absolute must. It made me realize just how much of a weak link the cable becomes in a well matched high quality system that is fully capable of passing a very strong clean extended accurate signal. I found the expensive Kimber Select to pass a very clean efficient signal from component to component with far less signal degradation than all other cable tried. It was shocking just how much of an improvement the cable made. yes i do believe that cable cost is relative to system cost. I would not use the best cable with a mid level system. I also believe in the REAL Industry Leaders who produce cable like Kimber, Siltech, AN Kondo San, Nirvana etc who produce their own wire in house with real technology over most small cable makers who buy spools of commerially made wire from large wire manufacturing plants and repackage the wire and make wild claims. The cables job is to pass an un altered signal, do nothing, and the higher quality and more capable the components are the cleaner and cleaner the cable must be to un alter the best signal the component is capable of sending. I also believe in NOT USING 1 WEAK LINK. No matter how good the components and cables are using just 1 weak link in the chain will only get you the best that the weak link is capable of. NO cable will perform any magical tricks. A good cable does nothing but pass the most efficient un altered signal. From there your using a form of tone control which could yield a positive or negitive result. Start with the best room and use the best well matched components and best matched cables that your budget can afford. NO weak links. The results can be sonic bliss. I also find that all being equal the TUBE yields a more natural musical sound and the old tubes sound better than new tubes in most cases. Its not really as complicated as we make it out to be if done right and you follow the rules. Knowledge is the key.
If you're worried about system matching, spending thousands for cables that may or may not result in a synergy with your components, spend fifty bucks of the Analgue II IC's and start your search form there, you may find that these excellent cables will match more expensive wire right up the scale. To a point of course. But what an interesting sonic journey! If you find something that works better, turn the Analogue II's in for a full refund.
You have awsome power cables. There are steals and rip offs in high end just like anything else. You should not exceed 20% of the cost of the system in cablles because there are some $1000 cables out there that are better than $4000 cables. The best cables I have ever heard are the new Essence cables. Essence is the company that actually builds your power cables and line conditioner under a different name. FMS is also real good but hard to find.