Cable Costs Relative to System

Since making a spread sheet with my audio system prices, I have been thinking(shocked) about my total investment in cables. My total system retails at $67,000 (Digital and analog front ends included). I purchased all of it here on Audiogon so my investment is about 50%. Of that I have about 10% invested in interconnects and cables and another 10% in Power Cables (Shunyata Hydra included). That's $13,000 worth of wire. I'm starting to question whether it might be more effective to put some of this budget into acitve components. It would take forever to listen to all possible combinations, but would like to hear others experiences with relatively high end systems and cable selection. It would seem to me that the point of diminishing returns would be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super bargain cables capable of keeping up with highly resolving electronics?
metaphysics
I would not be surprised. there are manufacturers who do all kinds of foolish things to cables, and there are customers to match.

I will put my system up against any system to see which is more resoving. Any body who has ever heard the well set up Apogee Scintilla would know this.

If you were to have a very resolving system, you'd find out cable science is fool's gold.
I really do not think you should equate cost to performance in audio. I see $4000 amps not worth $400 and $400 amps that are worthy of alot more than they are offerd at.

Cables are system dependant. While it is true that you can get good stuff that is highly priced it is also true you can get good stuff at a lower price also that fits your system and hearing personality enough to be well satisfied.

If you have ever heard an expensive setup that sounded like junk you know what I mean.

I might not have a SOTA system ,but I do believe I have a musical system.

BTW I would own Apogees or Maggies ,Infact I did ,but I had to sell them because of room. The speakers I have now I feel are just as transparent with good dinamics as the Maggies I owned.

They make me happy!
Amen to Muralman1.
Dipole speakers are the path to audio Nirvana. To reslove the shortcomings (rigid setup, and poor bass integration) of electrostatics, check out open baffle dipole systems. www.linkwitzlabs.com The last speakers you will ever buy. Ask anyone who has them.
The notion of cables being 'system dependant' is utter nonsense. As with all other components, its about distortion, or the lack of it. But the 'connoisseurs of coloration', like too many engineers and their million dolloar mixing toy, treat their system like it were a musical instrument, contributing to the music the artists made in the hall or studio.

The more components you can put together with the least amount of distortion the closer you get to 'true to the original. At least in playing back whatever made it onto the source media.

Then all you can do is buy and sell disks to collect those worthy of the capability of system to play back what is true.

Of course when your system is a personal perference of distortions to taste, you probably cannot discern a good disk from a bad one. But when it is relatively distortion free, inclusive of the room acoustics, you definately can.

Until then, there is a proven list of reference quality CD's at www.linkwitzlabs.com at the MUSIC link. While you are there check out some of the other links on theory, and practicle application of audio. I guarantee it will be worth your time.
Homedesign: It is too bad that you didn't apply as much logic or research as you did passion to your post.

Not all components are load stable, nor do all cables present the same feedpoint impedance, even when terminated with identical electrical characteristics from identical components. As such, cable changes can and are component / system dependent. On top of that, some of these differences can both be audible and measurable.

If you doubt this, try talking to Frank Van Alstine* about this subject. Frank is both a designer / manufacturer and one of the most out-spoken individuals in audio when it comes to cables and "snake oil". Ask him if components from various manufacturers all respond identically to cable changes. I'm talking about cable changes that result in variations in the feedpoint & load impedances that they see. Since i already know his answer and the truth about the subject at hand, i'll be waiting for your enlightened response once you delve further into the subject and re-educate yourself. Sean
>

PS... Since you seem to be a fan of his, try emailing Siegfried Linkwitz and see what he has to say about the subject. If he's ever done any REAL testing on the subject with a variety of components from various manufacturers, he'll share the same thoughts on the subject that Mr Van Alstine and i do. That is, cables should NOT affect system performance but most circuits aren't designed / built well enough to achieve this goal. Therefore, their performance is altered to one degree or another when cables are changed.

* I know that Frank knows all about this, as he took the time to educate Julian Hirsch about the subject.