Why do digital cables sound different?

I have been talking to a few e-mail buddies and have a question that isn't being satisfactorily answered this far. So...I'm asking the experts on the forum to pitch in. This has probably been asked before but I can't find any references for it. Can someone explain why one DIGITAL cable (coaxial, BNC, etc.) can sound different than another? There are also similar claims for Toslink. In my mind, we're just trying to move bits from one place to another. Doesn't the digital stream get reconstituted and re-clocked on the receiving end anyway? Please enlighten me and maybe send along some URLs for my edification. Thanks, Dan
danielho
I've just read the last page of this 8+ year old thread. I am essentially in agreement with the comments by Kijanki and Shadorne, and I think that Lightminer made an excellent first cut at a summary, which I think can be expanded upon a bit, and I've done that below.

But first let me say that I think that differences or lack of differences between digital cables are more easily explained, and are a lot more predictable, than differences between most other cables or power cords in an audio system. The key to it, though, is looking at it from a system-level perspective (as Kijanki and Shadorne, in particular, have done). Notwithstanding the observations some have offered about differences between particular cables that in their experience have been consistent across different systems, I think that (as the following summary should make clear) considering a digital cable as having a definable performance on its own, akin to a component such as a preamplifier or cdp, is wrong and is probably the underlying reason for a lot of the disagreements (based on differing experiences with different systems) which pervade this area.

That said, here is my embellished version of Lightminer's good summary:

If your DAC re-clocks really really really well (and most very modern ones focus on that now in varying degrees),
and
If your SPDIF cable is 1.5 meters or so (perhaps a bit more or less depending on the risetime and falltime of the output of the particular transport, and the exact value which the logic threshold voltage level that the receiver chip in the dac happens to have, within its rated tolerance),
and
A reasonably well-controlled 75 ohm impedance is maintained by the cable, the output stage of the transport, the input stage of the dac, and the connectors at both ends (bnc's being the best way of doing that; Canare rca's being a good second choice; ordinary rca's being marginally acceptable),
and,
the risetimes and falltimes of the transport output represent an optimal balance between being too slow (which would increase jitter due to the small amount of noise which inevitably rides on the signal) and too fast (which would increase emi and couple noise into circuit points within the system that could affect sonic performance, and also might worsen reflection effects),
and
the bandwidth of the cable does not significantly degrade risetime and falltime of the transport output,

then the difference in cables should be pretty minimal.

In that sense are we getting somewhere over the 8+ years!

But given the essential impossibility of assuring all of that, the best approach is to optimize as many of those factors as you can, then take into account the experiences of others who have worked with similar equipment (and take their experience with a few grains of salt), try a few different cables, go with what sounds best in your particular system, and don't worry about the conflicting experiences others may report with their own systems.

Re this question that Lightminer had:

Now that we are using 24/96 music and lets assume also 24/192, does that change the requirement on the "Freq Resp dc - 40 MHz" type of rating? What MHz is required? Interesting that Kimber D60 (quite expensive) is 40 MHz and the rest of their cables are 20.

Probably somewhat, but mainly just in the sense that the sonic advantages of the higher rez formats would be more significantly compromised by jitter than in the case of the redbook format. The clock rate of 24/192/2channels is a little under 10MHz, well within the cable bandwidths. However, what is important for any of the formats is that the cable bandwidth be adequate to not significantly affect the higher frequency spectral components that are associated with the signal risetimes and falltimes. If that were to happen, jitter would increase comparably regardless of format, although as I say the increased jitter would probably matter more in a higher rez format.

Based on certain assumptions that we don't have to go into here, because we are dealing with rough ballpark numbers, the 25ns rise/fall times of typical transport outputs corresponds to a "3db bandwidth" (meaning the particular frequency is attenuated by 3db) of 0.35/25ns = 14MHz. Faster rise/fall times, which are desirable in terms of jitter minimization until they reach the point where that benefit is overshadowed by emi problems or increased reflection effects, would have correspondingly greater bandwidths. So for any format it is desirable to have a cable that can pass that 14MHz (or higher) frequency without degradation. I would not assume, though, that the 14MHz number can be directly compared with the 20 and 40MHz numbers, because the cable bandwidth may not be specified based on "3db bandwidth," and (more importantly) may be based on the attenuation that results from a length much greater than what would be used in an audio system.

Many common types of coaxial cables used for video signals have 3db attenuation occurring at 100MHz at 100 feet! So I wouldn't be surprised if the 20MHz and 40MHz numbers were based on unspecified definitions that were designed to make the parameters sound relevant to an audio system, when in practice they are not.

Regards,
-- Al
I want it to be placebo, but in my instance I hear a difference between digital cables between my Squeezebox Touch/Philips 963sa and Eastern Electric Minimax DAC.

I, and my wife who is not a hobbyist, can clearly hear a difference between optical, coaxial and rca -> XLR (aes/ebu). With the coax sounding the worse of the group... thats right, I've preferred generic tosh to a $100 coax in this setup.
And 11 years later . . . !

Recently upgraded to a new Benchmark DAC1. Amazing, especially for the $$.

Anyway, I've tried three different cables to see if I hear a difference. Granted, none of them qualify as expensive - all were less than $75, but I'll be darned if I hear any truly discernible difference. They all sound great - BUT - I think there's a tiny improvement with a standard interconnect and not the one designed specifically for the digital coax in/out from my cdp to the DAC. And I think even that may be my imagination since the apparent improvement is minuscule at best.

Cables!! Jeez!!
Once again, this thread rears its ugly head! Some threads never die. Let the fun begin. 8^)
Hi Danielho,

The other type of digital audio cable is the optical cable. Optical digital cables are the premier choice for transferring digital audio signals between components. They do not use RCA style connectors; instead they use what are called Toslink (or EIA-J).

These cables use pulses of light to transmit data, instead of copper wire. Since they are immune to interference from electromagnetic and radio-frequency interference, the signals do not degrade and weaken over long distances. Distortion caused by resistance, inductance and capacitance is eliminated, with the result that the best reproductions of digital signals are made possible.

Even though optical digital cables are more expensive, for true audiophiles looking for a superior experience with audio, nothing beats optical digital cable technology.

Since these cables get damaged when bent, they fail to work optimally if installed incorrectly...

Good day...

hdmi cables