Why do digital cables sound different?

I have been talking to a few e-mail buddies and have a question that isn't being satisfactorily answered this far. So...I'm asking the experts on the forum to pitch in. This has probably been asked before but I can't find any references for it. Can someone explain why one DIGITAL cable (coaxial, BNC, etc.) can sound different than another? There are also similar claims for Toslink. In my mind, we're just trying to move bits from one place to another. Doesn't the digital stream get reconstituted and re-clocked on the receiving end anyway? Please enlighten me and maybe send along some URLs for my edification. Thanks, Dan
danielho
The question is : why people pretend to hear a difference ?

Or why they THINK they heard a difference ?

No need to look further
I don't know if this response has been given before but this is what I know. For digital signal paths the frequencies of concern (pulse rate, pulse edges, etc.) are outside (higher) than the normal audio domain. In fact, they behave more like RF. So, the digital cable is essentially a specialized RF cable. At RF frequencies it is the cable impedance, especially at the interfaces (connectors) that is important because mismatches with the commected components can cause signal reflecttions. What this means, obviously, is that phantom bits may been ADDED to the digital stream. So, a good quality digital cable is just as important, if not more so, than your analog interconnects!
Added bits would be extreme case of impedance mismatch. It's more to preserve shape of the pulses to avoid crossing threshols at different times causing jitter. Jitter creates sidebands not harmonically related to root frequency (audible). Even double Phase lock Loop cannot compensate for fast changes.
"The question is : why people pretend to hear a difference ?

Or why they THINK they heard a difference ? "

Anyone can hear the difference if just the right and wrong cables are put up against eachother. But most cables are about the same, no big diff.
And the confusion gets complete when folks starts to make up theoretic "answers" to why.
Palerider - if you cannot understand just read more.

Myself, if I cannot hear the difference I modestly admit it without saying that everybody else only "THINK" they hear a difference (that would be an arogance on my part).