Where Coming Back

Article in the New York Times today indicating big buck audio is coming back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/garden/the-new-audio-geeks.html

However, the 'product placement' in the article are lo fi.
buconero117
Geoffkait-Your right there are less "brick and mortar" stores now then in the late 80's, and I do agree home theater created a small setback for 2/channel HEA. As stated before the 90's was a decade of refinement and new discoveries. I disagree that the improvement in small speakers did not help the HEA industry. Many don't have the room, finances, or WAF to accommadate a large speaker thus a high quality monitor will help keep current and attract new audiophiles.
I am with you Dayglow..... Yet, finances are the underlaying issue. Too many toys and not enough money! Back in the 80's when I started this crazy hobby, I had a lot less monthly payments. Now, internet, satellite TV, cell phones and the list goes on.....
the customer base for expensive gear is declining.

i would also suggest that the purchases, as measured in revenue, of so-called high-end gear is also declining.

therefore, the industry known as high end is one of supply exceeding demand. such is not a recipe for success.
I dunno, I go to CES and I don't see these companies hurting for the most part. Unless it's all a big tax write-off combined with smoke and mirrors.