WAV vs. FLAC vs. AIFF

Hi, has anyone experience any sound quality difference between the three formats? Unfortunately I been using only the wav lossless formats. I have no experience with the other two. If you have experience the three, which one do prefer and why? Thanks and happy listening
Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64
Steve - It seems like what you are describing is a timing problem that comes from the competing flac decoding and audio stack processes. How does that timing issue get passed to the DAC. As I understand it, the async USB is suppose to control the timing of the data received by the USB async converter using its internal clock and it takes the computer timing out of the process. If their is a timing error/latency from the audio stack and flac converter competing for run time that is coming through the aysnc USB converter, then it seems like the async USB converter is not effectively controlling the timing of the data. Are you suggesting that the run time issues make the aysnc USB process not work properly? If you think the aysnc USB process is working properly, then why would the flac and audio stack processes introduce timing error in the aysnc USB device?
I believe the run-time problems cause the FLAC CODEC to malfunction.

I do not believe it has anything to do with async USB. My customers told me that this happens even with my older adaptive USB interface.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Mapman - Even though I sell only USB interfaces, and I'm able to achieve good performance, I believe that the ultimate solution that takes the computer out of the equation is networked audio streaming.

There are several proprietary networked systems available now, but the SQ of these leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Because they are proprietary, expert developers cannot create either devices or DSP software for these. The ultimate goal should be a ubiquitous player and an open system. I am currently submitting proposals to enable this for the industry.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"Malfunction"? Are you saying that the 16/24 bit data for each sample is incorrect? That the data that comes out of a flac decode is different that the wav data?
AE,

I have been very impressed with sound of both older Soundbridge and newer Logitech Squeezebox Touch as a source mainly ( I do not use built in DACs of either). Definitely better than anything I had prior and competitive in my mind with the better reference digital rigs I have heard at various dealers. The ultimate complement is that I have a large record collection and vinyl is not getting a lot of play time these days.

I am interested to see what devices like these come along down the road, but I must say, as a fairly picky and particular listener, and also as one who has worked in computer systems and software development for almost 30 years now, that I think the SQ Touch hits a nice target in terms of offering a combo of top notch sound (as a source mainly, I have never even tried the built in DAC though I hear it is not bad), features and effective design overall at a very favorable price point. Definitely a device that when used properly changes the playing field of high end audio considerably and serves as a good omen for perhaps even better things down the road.