WAV vs. FLAC vs. AIFF

Hi, has anyone experience any sound quality difference between the three formats? Unfortunately I been using only the wav lossless formats. I have no experience with the other two. If you have experience the three, which one do prefer and why? Thanks and happy listening
Ag insider logo xs@2xhighend64
AE,

Exactly!

The network player essentially serves as a "proxy" and effectively isolates the DAC and the rest of the audio system from direct interaction with the computer.

ITs definitely the way to go for those who would fret about how well their computer might play in a high end audio system, assuming your network has sufficient bandwidth.

Most home wireless G networks with moderate to strong connections should work fine under normal circumstances unless others in the house are in heavy competition for bandwidth. Squeezebox Server (now Logitech Media Server) actually converts files to lossless but compressed FLAC to make better use of network bandwidth and this solution works very well. Roku soundbridge does not but also tends to rebuffer more frequently with weaker connections in that data is not compressed before transmission. Roku Soundbridge and Squeezebox Touch both sound essentially identical in my rig.
Steve - It seems like what you are describing is a timing problem that comes from the competing flac decoding and audio stack processes. How does that timing issue get passed to the DAC. As I understand it, the async USB is suppose to control the timing of the data received by the USB async converter using its internal clock and it takes the computer timing out of the process. If their is a timing error/latency from the audio stack and flac converter competing for run time that is coming through the aysnc USB converter, then it seems like the async USB converter is not effectively controlling the timing of the data. Are you suggesting that the run time issues make the aysnc USB process not work properly? If you think the aysnc USB process is working properly, then why would the flac and audio stack processes introduce timing error in the aysnc USB device?
I believe the run-time problems cause the FLAC CODEC to malfunction.

I do not believe it has anything to do with async USB. My customers told me that this happens even with my older adaptive USB interface.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Mapman - Even though I sell only USB interfaces, and I'm able to achieve good performance, I believe that the ultimate solution that takes the computer out of the equation is networked audio streaming.

There are several proprietary networked systems available now, but the SQ of these leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Because they are proprietary, expert developers cannot create either devices or DSP software for these. The ultimate goal should be a ubiquitous player and an open system. I am currently submitting proposals to enable this for the industry.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"Malfunction"? Are you saying that the 16/24 bit data for each sample is incorrect? That the data that comes out of a flac decode is different that the wav data?