Garrard 401 service & tweaking my new project.

I just got a 401 from Europe ~ could use some help in the following areas:

~ how do I convert to 110~120v?
~ I intend to replace the bearing. There are a few aftermarket co. That have brass thrust plates. Anyone try any of these? Comments?
~ I believe I will also need to replace the idler wheel, anyone experience the artesian fidelity replacement?
~ how do I service the motor to keep it running quiet?
Thanks
phduncanson
Phduncanson,

First, I would like to thank Chris for his superb job of describing the switchover in voltage. Although I have done it (once, several years ago now), my memory these days is for the birds.

As for the speed, the idler wheel remains the same. What changes is the hub that is driven directly by the motor. The pulley sizes are different from 50hz to 60hz.

The 60hz pulleys can be purchased, as I previously mentioned, at PerfectSound, in the UK.

The strobe markings will be incorrect, as they are for 50hz. That is a small concern, though. There are some 60hz platters out there, but they are quite rare, and expensive. If you decide to go whole hog and replace your platter with a copper or stainless steel one (extremely expensive!), the strobe markings become a moot point anyway.

By the way, I am not in any way a schill, but I can recommend Woodsong Audio, as I've dealt with Chris, and found him very good to do business with.

Enjoy the process, I know you will enjoy the result.

Regards,
Dan
A new 60hz pulley and a 50 hz strobe will work fine. You do not need a new platter. Loricraft used to sell a 50hz strobe, I think they still do.
Hello Phduncason, I did not mean to imply you need a new platter. The 50 Hz platter works fine, the strobe function just doesn't work, due to the frequency mismatch.

Some with money to spend, and are perfectionists, will seek out a 60 Hz platter, just so everything is just so. I can't afford to be one of those people, and use an inexpensive KeyStrobe speed checking system which works well for me.

To each his own.

Regards,
Dan