Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
"Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today?"

Is taking an analog signal, converting it into a bunch of 1's and 0's that can only exist in cyperspace, and then reassemble the digital bits in an attempt to restore the analog signal as close to the original as possible, so we can then use it to listen to music, any more plausible?
Jafreeman, It's all about evolution. These technologies come and go (and come) in a natural order based on perceived need and science, and lately, nostalgia.

12-15-14: Mapman
It's 100 year old technology that peaked over 20 years ago already.

New records are being made but prices are high and quality control questionable.

The LP technology may have peaked 20 yrs ago (which I doubt), but turntables now are much better-sounding than the ones from the "golden age." Back then most TT mfrs were CLUELESS about resonance damping and vibration control.

Consider: a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (which sounds fabulous for its price) is $399. In 1969 my brother paid $79.95 for a 10" platter Garrard rim drive POS. Adjusted for inflation the Debut carbon would be a mere $61.67 including an Ortofon 2M Red, better than most carts we could get back then.

Speaking of inflation, I specifically remember that LPs in 1970 ran anywhere from $3.19 to about $4.77, depnding on the store and the particular record. Adjusted for inflation, that would be $19.52 to $29.19 today, in other words about the same as we pay today for a nice 180g pressing. When you consider that in 2014 the record makers don't have anywhere near the economy of scale working for them that they did in the '60s and early '70s, those prices today are pretty good. Also consider that when CDs got popular around 1987, the basic ones were $15.99, equivalent to $33.42 in 2014, so even by that standard current LPs are a good deal.

There are other analog delivery systems that could be less hassle in certain ways, such as open reel tape. The miracle of LPs is how authentically they can recreate the original sound and emotional vibe while being stamped out at a rate of about one per minute. You can't do that with dubbed open reel tape.
Do you think the internal combustion engine is a model of simplicity and logic...❓👀
Yet here we are 120 years later with basically the same concept powering our vehicles.....because we can't do it better any other way...😎👅
Vinyl playback IMO.....is a similar example of sophisticated perfection which may not be equaled....let alone exceeded...in my lifetime...😍